cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 2010R2 error - "please insert overwritable media"

asanangurayi
Level 3

We have an HP MSL4048 Tape library connected to a windows 2008 R2 server via an HP StorageWorks 41B - Host bus adapter-PCI Express low profile-4Gb Fibre Channel (SW)-fiber optic card. We have installed the brocade drivers for Win 2008 R2 and the tape drive is detected as HP LTO Utrium-drive as above

We are using Backup Exec 2010 R2 trial. When we run the Inventory scan on the tape drive we ger the following though there are many tapes in the library

Also the tape drive is detected as shown below, is that OK? I am also not sure of this serial number?

Please assist

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Ah, ha!  Your barcode label is wrong on 2 counts.  L4 is for normal LTO4 tapes.  You should use LT as the suffix for LTO3 WORM tape.  See page 11 of the attached document from HP.  No wonder BE cannot identify it as a WORM drive.

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14

AmolB
Employee Accredited Certified

Medium changer (auto loader) is not detected by the Windows. The tape device appears

as a standalone device. Perform powercycle of the server and the library and check if

Windows detects the medium changer.

asanangurayi
Level 3

We have done that and nothing has changed!

AmolB

BE will pull the device information from the Windows device manager, If Windows is not able to

detect the medium changer then there is no way BE will make it work. You will have to contact

the hardware vendor to fix the medium changer issue. Without the medium changer the library

will not work with BE.

EDIT: also refer to the BE2010 HCL if the hardware is supported

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH137050

Kiran_Bandi
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Generally with windows 2008 drivers will get installed automatically.

With windows 2003 i faced the similar issue with other vendors tape library.

Try downloading drivers manually and installing. You can also try shutting down the library, shutdown the server, power on the library and after it comes into ready state power on the server.

Once you see the unknown medium changer in the device manager, you can configure the library by using Configure Devices Asssistant.in BE.

See if this helps.

Regards...

Kiran_Bandi
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Any update here?

asanangurayi
Level 3

I am getting the Unknown media as below

What do i need to do?

AmolB

Perform an inventory and run a small backup job to check the results.

asanangurayi
Level 3

just one more thing before i try the backup, there is a Not Appendable Under Appendable Until. How do i change that?

asanangurayi
Level 3

I am getting the Import dialog when i try to do a backup and it keeps coming when i click OK 

AmolB

I guess you have selected Worm media option, open the backup job and check the device & 

media tab.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Your tape is shown is (Unknown Media) which means that BE does not recognise it.  Right-click on the tape and choose short erase to format it.  After the erase, when the (Unknown Media) disappears, re-run your backup job.

asanangurayi
Level 3

The Tapes are WORM (HP LTO3 Ultrium WORM Data Cartridge 800GB, C7973W). Trying to erase does not work, it says: Erase Library 0004 - The job failed with the following error: The requested operation is not supported for WORM media

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Ah, ha!  Your barcode label is wrong on 2 counts.  L4 is for normal LTO4 tapes.  You should use LT as the suffix for LTO3 WORM tape.  See page 11 of the attached document from HP.  No wonder BE cannot identify it as a WORM drive.

asanangurayi
Level 3

pkh, you are a life saver! Thank you so much. That did the wonders for me.