cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 2012: I can't Restore a Sql Db

HachiGo79
Level 3

Hi to everyone, this is my first topic, I have a problem with restore of my Backup Exec.

The backup exec it's installed on a windows server 2008r2, with active directory and a Microsoft Sql Server2008.
The Versione of my backup exec it's Ver.14 rev. 1798 for 64bit with licence for Sql backup, it's only server in my lan with backup exec installed; the backup storage it's a Nas.
The backup works normally, today I need to restore a backup and when I try to restore a backup of some days ago of a Sql database the Backup Exec console give to me this error:

SERVER.test.local Restore 00001 -- The job failed with the following error: The Backup Exec server could not connect to the remote computer.  Ensure that a Backup Exec agent is installed and running on the remote computer.  If a Backup Exec agent is installed, ensure that it is the correct version.

It's the same server and the only server with backup exec in my lan, I try to disable the firewall and the Antivirus (Symantec Endpoint Protection) without results.

Any idea?

ps: sorry for my bad english!

19 REPLIES 19

VirgilDobos
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hi there,

Have you tried restarting the BE service?

--Virgil

HachiGo79
Level 3

Yes, I tried; i tried also the server reboot but without result, same error.

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Is the Remote agent service on the target SQL server running ?

Do ensure remote connections to the SQL instance (named pipes, tcp/ip) are enabled.

lmosla
Level 6

also try repushing out the agent from the Media server. refer to this link http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH36546

HachiGo79
Level 3

I need to install the agent in the same server with Backup Exec Management Console?

It's the only server with backup exec software and the only server with Sql that I need to backup.

The backup job of Sql work properly

VJware
Level 6

So in other words, you are restoring to the same server itself. What options have you selected for the restore ?

HachiGo79
Level 3

I select Sql database(db name DBPROD), then I select Backup set time of DBPROD  04-08-2014, I choose to redirect the data to a different SQL Server instance and/or database name (in my case DBPROD_04082014), I use same path for restore, in my case: E:\data\MSSQL10.MSSQLSERVER\MSSQL\DATA, with "Overwrite existing database" option and "Physical consistency check only" option.

VJware
Level 6

Would you pls post screenshots of the restore selections or PM me the same. Thanks.

HachiGo79
Level 3

just send pm with screenshot

VJware
Level 6

Thank you for the screenshots.

In the wizard, at the option "Redirect the data to a different SQL server instance....", specify the server and instance name in this format:-

server/instance

HachiGo79
Level 3

now the error it's:

"the job failed with the following errore: the directory or file was not found, or could not be accessed."

VJware
Level 6

The new DB to which you are restoring to, did you create this DB prior to the restore ? If not, i would recommend to do so first and then attempt the restore.

HachiGo79
Level 3

Yes, first I create the new DB then try the restore

VJware
Level 6

In the redirection options, instead of choosing "Use this path", choose Use Alternate Drive, specify the E:\ and also choose Even when original drive does exist.

If the restore still fails, check the event viewer on the SQL server for any errors and post them back here.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

From your description, it would appear that you want to restore the database back to the same instance and same path, but to a different database name.  If this is so, then you need to do the following

BE 2014 - SQL redirection 1.png

For the SQL server and instance, specify your original SQL server and the original SQL instance.

BE 2014 - SQL redirection 3.png

You should specify the new database name in the Database Name field and use the first option in the Destination Option which is Use destination instance default directory. Do not specify the directory.

HachiGo79
Level 3

Today I'll try and post the result here

HachiGo79
Level 3

OK, I'll try with this options ang I'll post the result here.

HachiGo79
Level 3

same errors:

SERVER01.local Restore 00002 -- The job failed with the following error: The directory or file was not found, or could not be accessed.

VJware
Level 6

Would recommend to log a formal support case so that we can have a closer look @ the restore and figure out what's causing the failure.