cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 2012 - Missing features? maybe not?

be-nugget
Level 5

Hi,

Having been a user of all levels of backup exec for many years I have recently had to install and setup BE 2012, couple of things I have noted which do not seem to be present which were previously:

- Resource Order cant be controlled on a job, though I understand the notion of selection lists has been retired it would possibly help to be able to change this.

- Exceptions, whilst you can create global exceptions and exceptions per volume you dont seem to be able to create excpetions per server, so for example if i want to exclude *.tmp for a server but not for others, I have to add a exclusion for each volume attached to that server. 

Cheers

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

The individual resource order with a single server might be controllable (I have not tried it yet). However for a VMware job you can control the resource order for individual VM's using this method:

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH190656

I believe you might be able to control the order of C;: D: System State  Exchange database etc within a single server using the same method.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

AmolB

Resource order feature is not available in BE2012 as the latest version is server centric and not

resource centric.

be-nugget
Level 5

I understand, I just think this forces people to create multiple jobs per server to get their resrouces backed up in a different order as opposed to having one job arranged how you like.

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...1 way around this is to follow pkh's article below to chain jobs together...still not what you want, but possibly a work-around...

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/articles/use-bemcli-chain-jobs

dlt1928
Level 3

I’d like to see the TOTAL byte count.  Before….when we could create one job for many servers…. we could see a total byte count for that job.  This would alert me if I had a rogue employee downloading /copying GB’s of whatever but now I have to go through each server to see the total byte count.   Lets say I have 20 servers.  In BE 2010 I basically ran 2 jobs, 1 weekly full and nightly differentials.  At the end of the job it would give me total byte count.  Now I’m running 40 jobs, 20 weekly full and 20 nightly incremental.  Yes, I can run a report that will give me the total of EACH job but I would need to add them up to get a total. 

Or is there indeed a report that will show me the TOTAL of the nightly jobs?

Thanks,

Dlt1928

dohc97jun
Level 4

We backup our servers to a NAS.  On weekends, I have created jobs to duplicate finished backup jobs to be copied to tapes.  I can't find this option on BE 2012.

Colin_Weaver

The individual resource order with a single server might be controllable (I have not tried it yet). However for a VMware job you can control the resource order for individual VM's using this method:

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH190656

I believe you might be able to control the order of C;: D: System State  Exchange database etc within a single server using the same method.

be-nugget
Level 5

Hi Colin, just tried it, and whilst a little quirky it does appear to work the same way with traditional volumes.  Thanks for your help.  Hopefully a toggle selection will be introduced in SP2 or an R2 version of the product.