cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 2012: Overwrite protection peroid

loopy005
Level 2

Hi all,

having a problem with my weekly duplicate backups to my robotic library and I don't know what I'm doing wrong.

Job configuration:
"Duplicate", Source:"Most recent full backup", Storage: "IBM Tape library", Media Set: "3 weeks".

Media set configuration:
Overwrite protection period: "3 weeks"
Append peroid" Infinite - Allow append"

Each week im replacing the weekly tapes with new ones and associate the new tapes with this mediaset.

So hm, and here's my problem: When the job begoíns to run, it says that no overwritable media can be found. As I understand, the "Allocated Date" begins from the time on  the media is associated with the mediaset. So the overwrite protection is from this time on 3 weeks. So my backups never start...

But how do I have to set up my mediaset? I want that the backup files on tape are protected for at least 3 weeks and can be appendable infinite. So when the tape is full within these 3 weeks, the robotic library uses the next tape. At the moment I associate the tapes withe the mediaset "Scratch Media" and this helps me out at the moment.

Thanks in advance,
Sven 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

What you were probably doing wrong was accociating new tapes with the media set when you changed the tapes.

Always put new tapes into the scratch set and let Backup Exec move the tapes to the required media sets during job operation.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

loopy005
Level 2

Ok nevermind,

I recreated the jobs and the mediaset and it seems to work now.

Thanks smiley

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

What you were probably doing wrong was accociating new tapes with the media set when you changed the tapes.

Always put new tapes into the scratch set and let Backup Exec move the tapes to the required media sets during job operation.

loopy005
Level 2

Yes, that's correct. Thanks for the help.