cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 2012 single backup for Multiple Servers.

santoshpawar
Level 4

Hello,

I have multiple windows server.  I am using backupexec version 2012.  I need to backup my all server in single backup job like my previous backup exec version 2010.

But In backup exec 2012 i am not able to create common backup job for my all servers.  I don't want to create seprate backup job for each my server.

Can anyone please tell me how to configure one single backup job who can take backup of my multiple servers????

Thanks ,

Santosh Pawar

[Symantec Veritas Operations]

47 REPLIES 47

twp5253
Level 2

Wow, I really like this new product.   I really didn't need those jobs where I was backing up several servers with  a single job.  I am so happy Symantec got rid of that feature.   And the interface is so easy to learn.  Now, I just have to decide if searching for a new product from a different vendor would take less time than learning this one? 

santoshpawar
Level 4

Great someone is happy to backup this way...but for me it's frustrating to create single backup for single server when there is many server which i need to backup.

I hope as earliest as possible symantec will find solution for this which will make easier for everyone to manage their backups. 

let me notified if any new release comes out that allows multiple servers in a single backup in backupexec 2012.

Regards,

Santosh Pawar

AmolB
Employee Accredited Certified

You may subscribe to the below thread to get an update on multiple servers in a single job.

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/backing-more-one-server-job-be-2012

santoshpawar
Level 4

The Beta program is starting soon and will allow you to test new features and customer-recommended improvements in Backup Exec 2012. Some of the updates include:

• Protection of Microsoft Windows Server 2012:
    • New ReFS (Resilient File System) support
    • New Hyper-V version support
    • Updated Failover Clustering support
  • Protection of Microsoft Windows 8
  • Microsoft SQL 2012 support:
    • Smart incremental/differential backups to prevent errors due to SQL mode (simple vs. full recovery model)
  • Customer-recommended Improvements:
    • Ability to sequence the order of multiple jobs and target those jobs to a specific tape device
    • Ability to customize selections for backups in multiple servers at once
    • Ability to set the order of resources within a backup job
    • Ability to see all jobs including backups and utility jobs in 1 place
    • Ability to initiate restore from Storage view and from a specific job
    • More flexible scheduling options

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/blogs/new-beta-program-backup-exec-2012-r2

cem0211
Not applicable

I too agree!  This has made my backup administration a complete nightmare to say the least, infact I feel now I wouldn't recommend this backupexec as a viable solution or recommendation to anyone.

I have been using backup exec version 2010 for two years without any issues and this backed up a lot of multiple servers onto as little as 2 x LTO tapes.  However, since having a problem with backup exec 2010 that seemed to get itself locked out and I could no longer run backup jobs, the backup exec knowledge base answer was to fix the issue by upgrading to 2012.

Since I have upgraded to 2012, I now find that my single backup job I had in 2010 has now become multiple backup jobs in 2012 and it is now using 1 tape for each job.  Therefore if I continue using this product, I will have to resort in taking 27 tapes for offsite storage as opposed to 2 tapes.  This is just ridiculous and I think a bad flaw.

When you have organisations that rely on on a small backup window opportunity and is also business critical, you do not want to be spreading a simple backup strategy over a wide number of very expensive tapes when a previous version could condense into 2 tapes.

If i wanted to go disk space storage backup, we would have invested in a large capacity SAN to do this but unfortunately I cannot store a SAN offsite or rotate a SAN on a backup regime.

I also notice that 2012 does not support SUN Solaris UNIX anymore either, it supports LINUX - why not Solaris like 2010 did?

Bad Bad flaw Symantec, Very bad indeed !

Tim_g
Level 2

This is without a shadow of a doubt the most RUBBISH "upgrade????" to a piece of software I have EVER had the misfortune to deal with.

This morning I came into messages about my storage tape being full, so , understandably I had to cancel the job, however, YOU CANT CANCEL ONE JOB!!!!

Oh no, know you have to cancel every single job across all my servers.

Coupled with the AGE OLD STILL UNSOLVED application inactivity when trying to cancel a job, apparently associated with the amount of time the job has been on hold for....baaaah.

Service re-starts, Database corruption when trying to SCROLL through jobs sets in order to delete them to free up disk space.

It is now 15.40 & I started to clear up the job cancellations at 8.30am this morning, I AM STILL STRUGGLING TO CANCEL THEM!!!!!!!

What a load of old TRASH this is.

Administrators Guide - UNINSTALL, make do with version 2010, at least you could use the damn thing.

Better still get a refund, or change vendor.

twp5253
Level 2

Liz, have you ever worked in IT were you were responsible for doing backups?    The more I use this software, the more I don't want to use it.    Thankfully, I get the software from my parent corporation so it does not cost me $$ out of my budget.   Had I spent real $$ for this software, I would be one very unhappy customer.   I am not surprised that I belong to a large and growing group of IT professionals who actually know what they are doing.

Jimmy_Mac
Level 3

With the original thread being locked as of 7/12, I have not been recieving any updates as to when this is going to be resolved.

Symantec, what is the time frame for the updated version that will permit these core requirement features that were removed in 2012?