cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 2012 with Oracle 10g on SuSE Enterprise 10

sthEn
Level 3

Hi,

i got big problems with configuring Oracle 10g on SuSE 10 to work with Backup Exec 2012.

Backup Exec: Version 14.0 Rev. 1798.1244 64bit (SP2 with one hotfix)

Agent: Ralus 1798.209149 (newest, from SP2 with one hotfix)

Oracle: 10g Standard

So i configured backup exec agent for linux (ralus) with credentials :

root for filesystem

sys for oracle

In Backup Exec for this linux server i set credentials:

192.168.5.165 - root

- [ROOT] - root

- Oracle Database "Oracle Instances" - oracle

-- Oracle Database "orcl" (Oracle) - sys

Everythins is "SUCCESS" when testing... but...

In Backup Exec when i try to backup files ([ROOT]) everything is ok, but while trying to backup oracle database, i got error:

Final error: 0xe0009b61 - Backup Exec could not log on to the server with the logon account specified for it. The logon account does not have valid credentials. Ensure that the user name and password are correct in the logon account.
Final error category: Security Errors

I tired to stop agent service, and run beremote --log-console instead. Once again, when backing up filesystem, everything is ok, screen is just swimming in logs, but when i try to backup Oracle - nothing, not a single log.

What should i check next?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Jaydeep_S
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Backup Exec -> Configuration and Settings -> Backup Exec Settings -> Oracle  Here you would use the oracle credentials. In the Backup job properties, you have an option to test / set credentials, ensure that you are using 'root' account there and not the oracle account.

Even if you are using Be in trial, you need to activate the 'Application and Database' option (in trial offcourse) to be able to backup Oracle.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

sthEn
Level 3

I've seen and read all of them already, still no go. What i mean is, that i did all of the configuration "by the book" and multiple instructions on the internet. Everything seems to be configure superb, but yet, it doesn't work. It's strange, that backing up Oracle doesn't produce any logs on beremote.

Jaydeep_S
Level 6

Hope you have installed the licence for Application and Database to backup Oracle. From the information that you provided in your first post, it is not clear as to what credentials are you using in the Credentials section of the job. You should be using 'root'.

sthEn
Level 3

If you're asking about credentials in Backup Exec -> Configuration and Settings -> Backup Exec Settings -> Oracle, then i tried both root and oracle, it doesn't change anything.

I didn't install the license on current machine, because i'm using trial version in seperate environment on VM. Could that be it?

Jaydeep_S
Level 6

Backup Exec -> Configuration and Settings -> Backup Exec Settings -> Oracle  Here you would use the oracle credentials. In the Backup job properties, you have an option to test / set credentials, ensure that you are using 'root' account there and not the oracle account.

Even if you are using Be in trial, you need to activate the 'Application and Database' option (in trial offcourse) to be able to backup Oracle.

sthEn
Level 3

Well... what can i say, it worked ;) All of my credentials and configuration were ok from the beginning, but i didn't have Application and Database options installed... my bad, thanks for pointing this out.

Next problem - i can't restore any backup set, because according to Backup Exec, there are no Backup Sets visible. Howerer, files were created right (BD200000x.bkf) with correct size (~645mb). 

So, when i go to Backup Sets tab, there is no set. Also, "restore" button is greyed out and inactive.

Thanks anyway, i'm obviously one step closer.

Jaydeep_S
Level 6

Have you performed the backup that created the .bkf file from this server or has it been moved from another server. If so, try to catalog this file in Backup Exec and then try a restore.

sthEn
Level 3

Ok, i know where is the problem. Instead of adding backup set for 192.168.5.165, which from i'm running backup jobs, it's saving sets for server BASTUBA.SIDE, which is the same server, but because of some reason it wants to save on that name (it doesn't exist in network, it's some virtual hostname). But i guess this is SuSE problem, not Backup Exec itself :)

Jaydeep_S
Level 6

Check your network / DNS settings, '192.168.5.165' is being resolved as 'BASTUBA.SIDE'  somewhere.

sthEn
Level 3

Everything is working now, many thanks.