cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 2014 backing a Deduplicated Windows 2012 volume.

Xavi
Level 3

Hello,

Recently I moved my fileserver to a deduplicated windows 2012 volume to save disk space.

At the beginning (before win started to deduplicate) the backup was successful but one day the fullbackup started to fail saying that it is unable to found files and directories (I suppose it's because of the dedup) although the differential backups are still doing fine so that weirds me out even more. There is any good way to back the fileserver? Or i'll have to copy the content from the dedup volume to a normal one so be can backup the files? Because if that is the only option makes no sense to have a dedup volume if I have to duplicate the files in order to back them up.

Regards.

8 REPLIES 8

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

Backups should work properly. Have you tried to recreate the job?

The data will rehydrate, don't forget...also, post details of your setup of the job itself.

Thanks!

Xavi
Level 3

Yesterday I recreate the job, same issues.

It is possible that if someone has the file open it is preventing the BE to back the file?

What details you want/need to further diagnostic the issue?

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...is Advanced Open File Option on? If not, turn it on and try the backup again.

Thanks!

Xavi
Level 3

Yes, Advanced Open File is ON.

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Could you post the failed job log ? Thanks.

And how were the backup selections made ? Did you first select the complete server and then deselect unwanted resources or did you explicitly select the drives/volumes for backup ?

Xavi
Level 3

Backup- \\FILESERVER\[random directory] was not found, or could not be accessed.

None of the files or subdirectories contained within will be backed up.

V-79-57344-33967 - The directory or file was not found, or could not be accessed.

V-79-57344-65033 - Directory not found. Cannot backup directory[another random directory]and its subdirectories.

And it goes like so for 100-50 more directores.

Also at the end of those this shows ups:

BackupV-79-57344-34108 - An unexpected error occurred when cleaning up snapshot volumes. Confirm that all snapped volumes are correctly resynchronized with the original volumes.

And some exceptions to end:

Backup- \\FILESERVER[directory]

"\\FILESERVER.[randomfile.tgz] is a corrupt file. This file cannot verify.

Verify- \\FILESERVER[thesame tgz file] is a corrupt file. This file cannot verify.

P.S. I just selected the volume i want (the dedup one) and excluded the $recicle.

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Where are you backing up this data to ? Is it on the same fileserver or a different storage device ?

If using any AV, set it to exclude from scanning the beremote process. If the job is set to use archive bit, change it to modified time.

Lastly, are there any errors/warnings logged in the event viewer of the remote server during the backup window ?

Xavi
Level 3

I'm backing to a drive that's on the backupserver, not in the fileserver.

I'm using SEP so it would be retard if that was the cause of the problem (also, it would block all the traffic, not just some files, I suppose.

It's already on modified time.

On the fileserver I see some VSS errors with the IDs: 8193 and 12291 those could be the cause of the issue?