cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 2014 trial - Error connecting to the remote computer

Amanda_Jayne
Level 4

I am trialing BE2014. We are a hosting company, so have multiple clients on different networks that require backing up. We are currently using BE2010 R3 with no issues.

I have installed the trial on a different server in the same backup network, but am having difficulty pushing out the Windows agent to any machines. I am getting the error "Error connecting to the remote computer. Ensure that the computer is available, has WMI enabled and is not blocked by a firewall. 2147944122"

The backup server can ping the servers I am testing on, can browse the file structures, WMI is enabled and no firewalls are blocking traffic.

Would someone be able to assist?

18 REPLIES 18

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...make sure that no AV is blocking the installation.

Thanks!

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

2147944122 usually relates to WMI and DCOM issues. Try/confirm the following pls.

1) Enable remote WMI requests using these steps:

On the target server, go to Administrative Tools > Computer management.
Expand 'Services and Applications',
Right Click for Properties on 'WMI Control'.
Select the Security tab.
Click on Security button.
Add the account that is used during the installation of the Backup Exec Remote agent for Windows Systems.
Check Remote Enable for the user/group that will be requesting WMI data.

2) Grant DCOM rights per this KB - http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa393266%28VS.85%29.aspx

Retry push install then. If the agent install still fails, pls post the install log from %ProgramData%\Symantec\Backup Exec\Logs

Amanda_Jayne
Level 4

The account that I'm using is an admin account on the target machine, would that make any difference?

VJware
Level 6

Nopes, as long as the account has the necessary rights for remote installs.

Amanda_Jayne
Level 4

Which, I believe, it does. If I carry out the same task from our current BE2010 server (Windows Server 2003 R2), it works. If I do this from the trial BE2014 server (server 2012) it fails.

SSR_7767
Level 4

If the remote agent is already communicating with the BE 2010 server, there may be issues. Please try establishing a trust manually and then have the Backup Exec services restarted.

Amanda_Jayne
Level 4

Perhaps I was a bit vague with my last comment. I'm not actually installing the agent from BE2010. If I go through the process, but don't install, I have no issue communicating with the server(s). One of the servers I am attempting has never been backed up before, so currently had no agent installed.

HAMZAOUI_Omar
Level 5
Partner Accredited

try do a local installation.

copy the source in the client server from BE server in c:\programfiles\symantec\backupexec\Agents\Rawsx86 or x64.

Install it and specify the beserver for the rattachment

Amanda_Jayne
Level 4

We've tried installing on the server we want to back up. When I try to add the server into a backup, either as a VM or as a machine in its own right, I still am unable to contact it.

Can anyone shed any light on this? This is becoming a sticking point, and will prevent us from upgrading, which is a shame.

VJware
Level 6

Would you pls enable debugging when you try to add the server for a backup and attach the logs over here ? Thanks.

Amanda_Jayne
Level 4

Please see attached, the first is for a Hyper-V machine install, the second for a stand alone install

VJware
Level 6

I could find  just one file present with these lines repeating multiple times:-

HyperV Registry Keys are NOT present
Failed to initialize Hyper-V WMI interface
Failed to initialize Virtual Server
Therefore Virtual Server and Hyper-V are not installed

Is this a VM or is it a Hyper-V host ?

Amanda_Jayne
Level 4

It's an attempt to install on a VM, one is by installing directly (second attempt) the other is through installtion through the Hyper-V host

VJware
Level 6

If you are planning to back this VM using the Hyper-V agent, add the Hyper-V host in the Backup & Restore tab, else if planning to back it up as a physical machine, add it as regualr Windows computer.

I believe this error is occuring as the Hyper-V host option was chosen and as the Hyper-V information wasn't found, it errored out.

I would recommend the following:

1) Install the BE 2014 agent manually on the VM. ( Do ensure traces of the previous version of the agent aren't present)

2) Enable debugging on the BE server and the VM.

3) Add this VM to the Backup & Restore tab as a Windows Computer. If its successful, clear the SGMon output, but keep it running.

4) Establish a trust by right-clicking on this VM from the Backup & Restore tab. If its successful, clear the SGMon output, but keep it running.

5) Run a backup and check. If there is a failure, pls attach the job log and the debug from both machines.

Amanda_Jayne
Level 4

It would appear a manual install works.

When I was attempting a remote install, I wan't selecting the Hyper-V Host option. I was attempting to install a Windows agent on the guest machines both "after" the Hyper-V agent on the Host, and also as a "stand alone" server.

What will be frustrating is manually installing the agent on nearly 100 machines and arranging reboots on mission critical servers, so while a manual install works, it doesn't solve my problem.

HAMZAOUI_Omar
Level 5
Partner Accredited
It s the only solution... Install locally the agent

Amanda_Jayne
Level 4

If installing manually is the only solution, then I will have to look at another product. Thanks for all your help

Colin_Weaver

Push installs can be affected by default security restrictions in such a way that even as an administrator remote access to some processes are blocked. Unfortunately when this happens it is more of an environmental issue than a Backup Exec one and in some cases local installs may then be the only option (unless you can find the settings that are blocking the access in the remote servers operating system.)

I know WMI has been previously mentioned, but file and printer sharing with access to the ADMIN$ shares must be eabled and accesible to the user account and for some operating systems RPC must also be enabled

If you have a software firewall enabled on the remote system then you may also have to adjust settings there as well.