cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec - MISSING 1 and MISSING 2 Robotic Library Problems

alienjoker
Level 3
Hi all,

I've run into a bizarre problem since upgrading Backup Exec from 11 to 12. Everything was working fine before the upgrade but now I just can't seem to get Backup Exec to recognise the Library correctly. The interesting thing is that this isn't just happening on one setup, but both of the installs I have (2 separate libraries - 2 separate servers)

At present I have an IBM x3550 server with an LSI SAS HBA external controller connected via a single SAS cable to the 2nd drive on the IBM TS3100 Tape Library. The TS3100 (SAS) 2nd drive is configured to be the control of the library. The first drive is currently not being used and is not connected.

When I scan for devices in Backup Exec, I receive two MISSING 1 and MISSING 2 entries under the robotic library entry. It correctly finds IBM 1 (the drive) and places this under stand-alone. I then shift the drives around using the Wizard (putting the IBM1 drive under the robotic library) and everything starts to piece together nicely. I remove the two references to MISSING and then try a simple inventory job.

At this point, backup exec produces a fail error message. Error code E000E005 and if I drill into the job details it states:- The job has reported multiple errors and 1f - a device attached to the system is not functioning.

If I restart all backup exec services, low and behold, it resets all my configuration work and the MISSING 1 and MISSING 2 drives re-appear whilst placing the IBM 1 drive back under Stand-alone.

I've tried deleting and restarting services, etc etc, but I'm running round in circles.

Please help!

Thanks

I've attached my DIscover.txt output for reference:-

System Page Size: 4096

ByName: Tape

ByName: MediumChanger

02:00:00:01 08 -- \\.\MediumChanger0
INQ 00 "IBM 3573-TL 7.30"
INQ cc ""
INQ dc ""
INQ 83 "IBM 3573-TL 00L2U78G0505_LL0"
INQ 80 "00L2U78G0505_LL0"
TUR 00 00000
RES 00 00 00000
REL 00 00 00000
MTE 0001 1
STE 1000 23
IEE 0010 1
DTE 0100 2
0 "IBM ULT3580-HH4 1K10006839"
1 "IBM ULT3580-HH4 1K10003447xÀú"

ByName: Changer

ByPort: Scsi

01:04:00:00 00 -- \\.\Scsi1:
INQ 00 "Adaptec Array V1.0"
INQ cc ""
INQ dc ""
INQ 83 "ADAPTEC ARRAY 9707B8A6"
INQ 80 "9707B8A6"

01:04:01:00 00 -- \\.\Scsi1:
INQ 00 "Adaptec Array V1.0"
INQ cc ""
INQ dc ""
INQ 83 "ADAPTEC ARRAY 126BC8A6"
INQ 80 "126BC8A6"

02:00:00:00 01 -- \\.\Scsi2:
INQ 00 "IBM ULT3580-HH4 89B1"
INQ cc ""
INQ dc ""
INQ 83 "IBM ULT3580-HH4 1K10003447"
INQ 80 "1K10003447"
TUR 00 23a00
RES 00 00 00000
REL 00 00 00000
BUS Unknown(10)
MAX 0xffffff bytes 0x101 pages

02:00:00:01 08 -- \\.\Scsi2:

ByGuid: Tape

ByGuid: Changer

ByGuid: ChangerIomega

ByGuid: CDRom

00:00:00:00 05 00 \\?\ide#cdrommatshita_ujda780_dvd#cdrw_______________ca21____#5&39b67c45&0&0.0.0#{53f56308-b6bf-11d0-94f2-00a0c91efb8b}
INQ 00 "MATSHITAUJDA780 DVD/CDRWCA21"
INQ cc ""
INQ dc ""
INQ 80 ""

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

alienjoker
Level 3
Ok, so heres the weird thing - I'd just done this before reading your post Craig

Powered the library down and swapped the SAS cable to the other drive on the back of the tape library

I then powered the server off and powered the tape library up. After a couple of minutes, powered back on the server.

When back into Windows, Device manager reported an error with the LSI HBA saying it couldnt start (Im assuming its because it lost sight of the previously connected devices and got confused).. So similar to your suggestion, I uninstalled the HBA.

After rebooting the server again, this time, it stripped the LSI Branded Driver from device manager and replaced it with a generic SCSI Controller driver. (strange).

I loaded up Backup Exec, deleted all the old references to the drives and rescanned. Lo and behold the drives appeared correctly.

This is absolutely bizarre - given that in version 11 of backup exec I had no issues at all even whilst it was cabled to Drive 2. Similarly, why should it install the drivers for the HBA as a generic card? Is this Symantecs Native drivers doing this as I only thought this was inside Backup Exec, not Windows itself.

I shall continue to play about with "System 2" to see if your suggestion above also work.

Thanks again

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

Chris_L1
Level 4
Partner
try to use manifacturer drivers instead of Symantec ones.

alienjoker
Level 3
Unfortunately I've already tried that and it made no difference. I used Tapeinst to do this and to see whether it would clear up the mess its finding but even with or without the Symantec drivers, I get the same MISSING devices appearing.

Any other ideas? I've seen reference elsewhere on the web pointing at a Registry corruption although I've built the second system from scratch and get exactly the same problem (different tape loader, different server - same configuration)

Thanks

whiteknight8
Level 4
what kind of backup are you running?
window or ndmp?

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited
I'd do the following:

1. Shut down the library, and remove the device from Windows by deleting it out of Device Manager. Disconnect the library from the server.
2. Restart the server, and let it detect that there is no library connected. Run a device scan in Backup Exec to make sure it doesn't see anything, and select the option to delete the devices if necessary.
3. Shut down the server, start up the library and give it enough time to initialise. Connect it to the server before...
4. Start up your server, and let it detect the library again.
5. Verify that the library has the standard Windows drivers installed.
6. Open up Backup Exec, and run the driver installation wizard.

For good measure I'd download the latest drivers and install them on Backup Exec too.

alienjoker
Level 3
Ok, so heres the weird thing - I'd just done this before reading your post Craig

Powered the library down and swapped the SAS cable to the other drive on the back of the tape library

I then powered the server off and powered the tape library up. After a couple of minutes, powered back on the server.

When back into Windows, Device manager reported an error with the LSI HBA saying it couldnt start (Im assuming its because it lost sight of the previously connected devices and got confused).. So similar to your suggestion, I uninstalled the HBA.

After rebooting the server again, this time, it stripped the LSI Branded Driver from device manager and replaced it with a generic SCSI Controller driver. (strange).

I loaded up Backup Exec, deleted all the old references to the drives and rescanned. Lo and behold the drives appeared correctly.

This is absolutely bizarre - given that in version 11 of backup exec I had no issues at all even whilst it was cabled to Drive 2. Similarly, why should it install the drivers for the HBA as a generic card? Is this Symantecs Native drivers doing this as I only thought this was inside Backup Exec, not Windows itself.

I shall continue to play about with "System 2" to see if your suggestion above also work.

Thanks again

alienjoker
Level 3
Ok, so on the second system, I thought I'd keep as much constant as possible. So this time, just recabled the SAS connection to drive 1 on the library. I did a quick scan in device manager and then rebooted both the library and server.

(please note that throughout this I have not overlooked the need to ensure the control path of the library is configured correctly for the drive hosting the SAS connection)

What a surprise - it worked - although on this server, it retains the LSI HBA drivers??

Seems extremely inconsistent - so am now about to replace the drivers on the other server reporting the Generic Drivers to see what happens.

From reading the manual on the TS3100, there's no suggestion that the library doesn't work if its cabled to Drive 2. Particularly given that prior to upgrading it used to work fine with Backup Exec 11.

I wonder if the complete refresh/rescan of devices etc has kicked it back into touch and if I recabled back to Drive 2 and performed the same remove/replace from scratch it would work!

The joy of technology hey!

Larry_Fine
   VIP   
What version of BE and what updates/DDIs are installed?