cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec V12.0 SP4 GRT Restore Problem

itdeptwkc
Level 3
We have been using GRT for Exchange 2003 successfully for the last 9 months.

Recently a mailbox restore was attempted but gave the following error message:

"Final error: 0xe000febd - The Logon account you specified must correspond to a unique mailbox."

This happens when redirecting to another mailbox and on a normal restore to the original mailbox.

The logon account used is the System Logon account which has been used countless times before successfully.

By chance, a colleague had created a new account with Domain Admin Rights and when used this worked.

However, other Domain Admin accounts already set up gave the same "Unique mialbox" error.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks,

Michael
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

itdeptwkc
Level 3

Hi Guys,

Sorry for the delay in responding, but we have been busy here plus had the Easter Bank Holiday.

I have followed Dev T's procedure but after talking with a senior colleague he advised:

1.  We did not need the account to be a member of  Local Admin Group even though Exchange was a member server.  He says that if the account has Domain Admin rights it will have Local Admin rights.

2. The account did not need to be an Exchange Server Administrator.  Again, the Domain Admin membership is sufficient.

So this is what I did:

Create a new account in AD with following settings:

1  : Member of the Domain Admin group
2  : Created a Mailbox for the account and opened it  to activate the mailbox (did not send a test email)
3  : Make sure that the Mailbox is not hidden from the Global Address List.
4  : Open Backup Exec, go to NETWORK--Logon Accounts and Change the Logon Account to the new account.

This worked OK whether the account was the default or simply selected at the time the job was run.
The new account will definitely not work if it's mailbox has not been created and activated.

I still do not know why the original Logon Account started to fail, but it is now redundant and I am using the new account for backups and restores.

Thanks a million for all you help

Best regards,

Michael

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited
Hi there Michael,

Take a look at the tech article below:

http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/262707.htm

http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/256537.htm

They may shed some light on your error...

Laters!

itdeptwkc
Level 3
Thanks Craig but I've already tried the suggestions in those articles and it is not the cause.  I created a completely unique mailbox and got the same error!

Also, we have successfully restored to redirected mailboxes called restore'nn' so they are certainly not unique.
The admin account created by a colleague works so I think it has something to do with the System Logon Account (and the other admin accounts) "losing" it's credentials somehow?

Any more thoughts?

CraigV

Maybe look at removing, and then readding the user account in BEWS...?
And is the backup service account a delegated admin in Exchange?

itdeptwkc
Level 3
I have removed and re-added the admin accounts but they still fail.  The System Logon Account has NOT been removed yet - I was going to do that as a last resort and since it hasn't worked for the admin accounts, I did not see the point.

The System Logon Account is an Exchange Admin Delegate, but the admin account that  works isn't?

There does not seem to be any logic in the way this is behaving?

CraigV
That is weird...the only other thing I can suggest at this stage then would be to create a new account with the same group memberships, and then add that into BEWS.
Once done, change that to the default account and try again.
Failing that, you might have to log a call with Symantec support, and then post the fix here before closing the query off.

Dev_T
Level 6

Hello,

Create a new account in AD named : symantec with following settings:
1  : Member of the Domain Admin group and Local Admin Group if Exchange is a member server
2  : Create a Mailbox for Symantec, send a test email and oprn it in OWA to activate the Mailbox.
4  : Add the account "symantec" as Exchange Server Administrator in Exchange Management Console.

Open Backup Exec, go to TOOLS--Logon Accounts and Change the Logon Account to "symantec", make sure that "system Logon Account" and "Default Logon Account" is symantec.

Now restore any individual item from exchange backups.

Hope this helps...

CraigV
Hi there,

Any news here?

itdeptwkc
Level 3

Hi Guys,

Sorry for the delay in responding, but we have been busy here plus had the Easter Bank Holiday.

I have followed Dev T's procedure but after talking with a senior colleague he advised:

1.  We did not need the account to be a member of  Local Admin Group even though Exchange was a member server.  He says that if the account has Domain Admin rights it will have Local Admin rights.

2. The account did not need to be an Exchange Server Administrator.  Again, the Domain Admin membership is sufficient.

So this is what I did:

Create a new account in AD with following settings:

1  : Member of the Domain Admin group
2  : Created a Mailbox for the account and opened it  to activate the mailbox (did not send a test email)
4  : Open Backup Exec, go to NETWORK--Logon Accounts and Change the Logon Account to the new account.

This worked OK whether the account was the default or simply selected at the time the job was run.
The new account will definitely not work if it's mailbox has not been created and activated.

I still do not know why the original Logon Account started to fail, but it is now redundant and I am using the new account for backups and restores.

Thanks a million for all you help

Best regards,

Michael