cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup FAILED: An error occurred retrieving the WMI repository..

Robin_Farrell
Level 3
An error occurred retrieving the WMI repository data directory.
The WMI repository could not be backed up.

I have been getting this error for 2 weeks now and every nights backup fails because of it, I have tried the fixes in the knowledge base and have even written a batch file to automatically rebuild the repository on the main server (on which backupexec is installed).

We are using this to back up 7 servers, can someone please tell me if its a different server I should be concentrating on or is it contained to the server backup exec is installed on??

Also can someone please tell me how to get rid of this error as it doesn't seem like veritas' OR microsofts solutions work:/
161 REPLIES 161

Robin_Farrell
Level 3
I'm not going away until this is resolved, sorry veritas:)

Don_Mulvihill
Level 4
Maybe they consider this ticket closed since Robin didn't respond within 2 days...

Robin_Farrell
Level 3
We Could always start a thread each:)

Don_Mulvihill
Level 4
Done. Check this out: http://forums.veritas.com/discussions/thread.jspa?threadID=50146

Arnold_Rivera
Level 3
I'm pretty sure this ticket is still open. I'm wondering if this was brought about by any Microsoft patches. Did anyone run any updates prior to this problem? I did. But that occurred about over week before the problem started. I'm not about to roll back what might be any one of a number of updates.

I also cannot update to the latest and greatest 9.1 release since that requires an insane amount of time to upgrade the server and agents. Also, people have replied in this thread that the problems are occurring on 9.0, 9.1 and 10.0.

Just thought that I'd give additional info since Veritas techs seem to only ask "Are you still having the problem? Can I close the ticket?" rather than try to gather data and troubleshoot.

Can you tell that I'm irritated?

Don_Mulvihill
Level 4
Arnold, do you have a support contract with Veritas? I used their Direct Assist to get that material which I posted here.

Technical_Sup5
Level 3
The error is back again for me, still on version 10 but this time when I check the Job Monitor it's showing the job still running after 82 hours, trying to cancel it now but stuck with Cancel Pending. Hoping I don't have to restart the server.

Funny we upgraded to 10 to resolve some issues and now we have a worse one.

Robin_Farrell
Level 3
> Arnold, do you have a support contract with Veritas?
> I used their Direct Assist to get that material
> l which I posted here.

There is no reason that we should have to buy a support contract.
This query has been open for 3 weeks and not one representitive has done anything other than point us at knowledgebase information which is inaccurate.

This is a clearly a problem with the software on all versions.

I'm starting to get a bit irritated with this.

Arnold_Rivera
Level 3
That is the one thing that I forgot to mention. When the job gets stuck on this point, if it is not automatically cancelled, a manual cancel will not stop the job. It stays in cancel pending. I have auto cancel set to 2 hours and most of the time it won't cancel on this particular error. I once let it go 2 days after the cancel, but it never did get out of cancel pending. So you are probably going to have to reboot.

Also I learned that you can't append to the tape after that - you'll have to use a new tape. I understand the reasoning behind that part. I don't have the link, but you can find it in the KB.

Don_Mulvihill
Level 4
Out of desperation, I posted a question to a wmi newsgroup: http://msdn.microsoft.com/newsgroups/default.aspx?dg=microsoft.public.win32.programmer.wmi

The title of the thread is "Error backing up wmi repository" 7/6/2005 6:15 AM PST.

We'll see if we get any bites on that.

Technical_Sup5
Level 3
looks like the question still goes unanswered, I find it hard to believe they haven't located the problem yet. The question is are they even looking...

Don_Mulvihill
Level 4
I'm thinking not. Appears Veritas does not intend to spend any time on this topic via this free message board. If anyone besides me has their Direct Assist support, I suggest you use it (you *will* get an answer one way or another) and then post the results here?

I have the Direct Assist option and used it to get some answers. I won't use it again, though, since I'm not getting the error any more.

I still wonder why we got this error that one night on that one server and then never again... (?)

Renuka_-
Level 6
Employee
Hello All,

Robin Farrell has already referred to article:
http://support.veritas.com/docs/253921
All the others may also do so, as mentioned in the article try to take the backup if it fails please contact Microsoft for further assistance.

Those who have tried it with success please post here saying so.Since all of you have just said "tried this technote but problem persists", we do not have an update on who all have had a successful backup as per the article.

Thanking you.

Additional Information :
For information on the recent VERITAS Backup Exec security vulnerabilities, including links to the downloads for the necessary hotfixes, please refer to the following document:
Patch summary for Security Advisories VX05-001, VX05-002, VX05-003, VX05-005, VX05-006, VX05-007

http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/277429.htm

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answeredand would be moved toanswered questions pool.

Don_Mulvihill
Level 4
Renuk, thaks for the reply.

I only had this problem one night. Then my backup ran just fine the next day.

From what I've seen with all the other folks who posted on this topic, *no one* has solved this problem using the Veritas-recommended articles.

Renuka_-
Level 6
Employee
Hello Don,

Thank you for the update. If the backup method provided in the technote has not worked for any of the respondants. Kindly read the technote to understand why you need to contact Microsoft support in the scenario presented.

Additional Information :
For information on the recent VERITAS Backup Exec security vulnerabilities, including links to the downloads for the necessary hotfixes, please refer to the following document:
Patch summary for Security Advisories VX05-001, VX05-002, VX05-003, VX05-005, VX05-006, VX05-007

http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/277429.htm

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answeredand would be moved toanswered questions pool.

Technical_Sup5
Level 3
Are we supposed to contact Microsoft telling them that your product does not back up the WMI correctly, and hangs the job? I never had this problem on previous versions of Backup Exec, but now on 9.x and 10.x I've seen the problem occur on multiple occasions. Are you sure this is not a problem with your program? Especially since the steps you point to rule out the possibility of it being a Windows related program.

Arnold_Rivera
Level 3
> Hello Don,
>
> Thank you for the update. If the backup method
> provided in the technote has not worked for any of
> the respondants. Kindly read the technote to
> understand why you need to contact Microsoft support
> in the scenario presented.
>

I see. So you are saying that this is not a Veritas problem. Or should we use a different backup solution to back up our servers. Please give me a list of competitors that I might switch to.

By the way, that method did work for me. I am still having a problem backing up the WMI folders with BackupExec.

No one has done any troubleshooting on this issue, except to refer to the same 3 technotes over and over.

Deepali_Badave
Level 6
Employee
Hello,

Since this issue needs a personal attention of our technical representative, we suggest you to contcat our voice support to further troubleshoot this issue.

Thank you,

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

Dave_Clark_4
Level 2
My problem had magically gone away for 3 weeks, but has now occured on a different server. The job has hung backing up the "regevent.mof" file.

Can someone from Veritas verify that deselecting the system32\wbem folder is an acceptable solution (as mentioned earlier in this post)?

Does this folder really get backed up by the System State selection?

I don't have time to do a test disaster recovery at this point.

Thanks

stephen_Shepher
Not applicable
I have been trying to figure this problem out for several weeks now. I have a ticket open with Veritas but they have been very little help. Here is what I know about the probalem..

1.) backup of WMI fails, but job completes.
2.) any further attempt to backup WMI or files in the WBEM directory will hang the job. Job cannot be cancelled unless BUE services are restarted or the target server is rebooted.
3.) WMI Service on failed target server is crashed, cannot be connected, cannot be restarted, and will not respond until the server is rebooted.
4.) Problem is intermittent does not recreate every time WMI is backed up.
5.) Problem only affects Windows 2000 servers.

I will post if I get any helpful input from Veritas..