cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup needs 2 tapes: append, then overwrites next tape

ofo
Level 3

Hello

Ik have a data backup that writes to a pool of 7 tapes.When my backup starts, it append to tape 1 on monday. On tuesday, the tape 1 has not need enhough space left over, so you should think it appends, for example, too tape 4 which shows 100 gigs free. But instead, BE decides to take the next one in row, tape 2, which he overwrites.

although, my media set is set on "infinite-allow append". overwrite is set to 1day because i i wanted BE to append as much as possible, and then start to overwrite.

I presumed BE would search a tape to append to, instead of just taking the next one & start to overwrite.

Is this by design, of do i need th change my media set so BE looks at the tapes in his pool and takes the one with appendable space?

thanks is advance!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

pkh
   VIP    Certified
This is by design.  BE will append to the first tape and then overwrite the second and subsequent tapes.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

pkh
   VIP    Certified
This is by design.  BE will append to the first tape and then overwrite the second and subsequent tapes.

ofo
Level 3
Thank you. Can i modify this by changing my media set setting or not?

pkh
   VIP    Certified
No. You can't. 

ofo
Level 3
Suppose that i set my overwrite protection period to 14 days, what will BE do? he can't take the next one, because i won't allow it to overwrite it.
That way, won't he get to tape 4 and append?
Or will i end up with a failed job?

pkh
   VIP    Certified

BE will NOT append after the first tape.  If it cannot find an overwriteable tape, it will prompt for one.  Since you are using a library, there is no way to put in an overwriteable tape, so you will have the fail the job.

ofo
Level 3
I forgot to mention someting: when tape 1 is full, tape 2,3 & 4 are tagged as: not appendable (media full), but of course overwritable.
why does he takes tape 4 to start his overwrite and not tape 2 for example, the next one in row? they are tagged just the same. In what way does BE decides the tape he takes to start overwriting?

pkh
   VIP    Certified
Normally the oldest recycleable tape is used first.

ofo
Level 3
is this the same as modified date when i look at the properties of the tape?

pkh
   VIP    Certified
When the tape becomes overwriteable, there is only the allocated date left.