cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup to Disk creates new files instead of overriting

TheGambler
Level 2
Hi community,

i'm running BackupExec 12.5 for Windows Servers and configured a weekly incrementel backup that stores everything in one file.(no worry i have a more sophosticated strategy, but for this issue i want to keep things simple)
I configured the media properties like that:

- time for overrite protection: 0 hours*
- time for adding data: unlimited - adding data is possible*

*please not that i have the german version and dont know the correct wording of the english verison. I hope u will understand what i mean. I attached a screenshot.

problem:
So amazing is that sometimes BE overrites the file from last week (which is my favorite behaviour) and sometimes creates a new file. This behaviour seems to me randomly. The problem is that i do not have enough space for more than one backup file. I just want BE to overrite the same file every week.

Any ideas?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Sush---
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified
Hello there,
   I would suggest you check the Backup job properties and select the option of When backup job begins = Overwrite.

Then in Backup Exec go to TOOLS>>OPTIONS>>MEDIA MANAGEMENT and select "Media Overwrite option = Overwrite recyclable media contacined in Targetted media set before overwriting Scratch media"

Also keep the Overwrite protection period to minimum so that the job overwrites the previous files.

Thanks
-Sush...

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Sush---
Level 6
Hello there,
   I would suggest you check the Backup job properties and select the option of When backup job begins = Overwrite.

Then in Backup Exec go to TOOLS>>OPTIONS>>MEDIA MANAGEMENT and select "Media Overwrite option = Overwrite recyclable media contacined in Targetted media set before overwriting Scratch media"

Also keep the Overwrite protection period to minimum so that the job overwrites the previous files.

Thanks
-Sush...

Sush---
Level 6
Has this resolved your issue?? Is this the solution that you were looking for??

TheGambler
Level 2

"job begins = Overwrite" was already configured

"Then in Backup Exec go to TOOLS>>OPTIONS>>MEDIA MANAGEMENT and select "Media Overwrite option = Overwrite recyclable media contacined in Targetted media set before overwriting Scratch media" -> this solved the issue. It runs perfect since one week.

So, issue solved.

Thank you very much, greetings from Berlin