cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup to USB Harddrive setup

Gossamer
Level 2
I'm fairly new to backup exec, and have been learning as I use it.  For one of the companies we do some work for, their tape drive is being replaced with a Harddrive enclosure with removable bays so that 6 Harddrives can be swapped in for 3 backups per week for 2 weeks (basically replacing the 6 tapes they had doing the same function).  The problem I am having is getting these drives set up in Backup Exec properly.  All drives have been initialized and formatted NTFS ahead of time.  In backup exec, I tried adding a new Removable Backup-to-Disk Folder, pointing to the drive letter for the first drive.  It ran inventory just fine and found a new media Item.  In the media tab, I created a new media set and moved the media object to it.  Problem is, I can't seem to use it.  I can't create a new catalog, it gives me a Physical Volume Library Drive Not Found error.  The media shows up as having 0 available capacity (its a 160GB HDD).  I tried running a test backup on it, and it just errors out with no description as to why.  Chances are, I'm not setting this up properly, and there is some step I am missing, but I have been unable to find any information on what that something might be.  Again, I am somewhat new to this, so thats probably the reason I am having problems.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Also, I did try moving the media to retired and back, then to retired and deleting it and trying a regular Backup-to-Disk folder, but then I never got any media, even after running inventory.
2 REPLIES 2

Gossamer
Level 2
I did some more research online, and have made a step forward.  I created an entirely new backup job for the media, and it created the virtual tape drive for that media, and is currently running a backup job on it.  I still cannot run the previous backup job with this media, but that may just be how it is.  I don't know just yet if the issue is solved, but will soon, and will post when I know its working.

Gossamer
Level 2
I got it working.  I found I had a number of settings wrong.  Once I got them set right its been working great.