cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup to tape is not moving to the second media in the Tape Library

Burhanm
Level 3

We are using Backup exec 12.5 for backing up data from disk to tape. for this purpose we have configured the required settings like media set and tape device. now when it comes to backing up what we have noticed is that the backup starts and back up on the first tape normally, but when the first tape reaches full it doesnt move to the next tape and pops up the error msg "Please insert overitable media into the robotic library using the import command" with the event id 58064. it is important to note here that the rest of the tapes are all empty, still backup process cannot move to the next empty tape to continue the backup.
Your feedback on this matter will be highly appreciated 

4 REPLIES 4

videodrone83
Level 3
double check the media to make sure its associated with the correct media set. Also make sure you select the media set in the backup job, It should pickup and go onto the next tape if there are more then 1 associated with the media set.

lzuluaga
Not applicable
Conventional tape backups are limited in their capability to support application recovery because they produce a single-point-in-time copy of the application data stored on secondary storage media. The recovery As tapes are overwritten, the ability to recover data to a specific point in time becomes more difficult. After two months, the best backup resolution will be at the previous month. After three weeks, the best resolution will be at the weekly level. You should be looking at online  backups remote locations. It can actually be an other bulding of your network. I know I paid the price , when I had to server go down.

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
double check the media to make sure its associated with the correct media set

no

All media should be in the scratch media set

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

Are all the tapes Overwriteable before the job starts?  That is, if you inventory them, do they all show up in BLUE rather than BLACK

When a tape fills up, it will only continue on a Scratch\overwriteable volume whether the job is Overwrite or Append