cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BackupExec SDR to HyperV

francismcware
Level 2

Hello

We look after many SME's and need to provide a quick responce to a Disaster Recovery situation.

We do regular SDR Backups of the clients 2011 SBS Servers using BE 2012.

We periodically take the SDR Hard Drive offsite to test a restore however i would like to know if it's possible to convert the BackupExec Media to a VHD or VHDX directly rather than using the BackupExec Software to convert it to a VM on the HyperV Server. I was looking for an option to what we get in the Backup Exec Software on the SDR Disc however this dosen't seem to be available.

I hope i've explained this poperly

Many Thanks

Francis

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Yes and no.  

No.  You cannot convert the backup set to a VHD because even if you can do so, the VM cannot be boot up because of incompatible drivers

Yes. If you have a media server and a Hyper-V host, you can use the B2V feature of BE 2012 to convert the backup to a VM.  You can do this without using SDR.  The B2V involves restoring the backup set to the Hyper-V host. This is a lot easier than using SDR.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Yes and no.  

No.  You cannot convert the backup set to a VHD because even if you can do so, the VM cannot be boot up because of incompatible drivers

Yes. If you have a media server and a Hyper-V host, you can use the B2V feature of BE 2012 to convert the backup to a VM.  You can do this without using SDR.  The B2V involves restoring the backup set to the Hyper-V host. This is a lot easier than using SDR.

francismcware
Level 2

thank you.