cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BackupExec cannot find server after changing Server's Administrator passwor

Phil_Wiener
Level 2
I am a tech support person and just walked into a situation where there is a 5-computer workgroup (not domain) which includes a W2K Server that is used primarily as a file server and to administrate Backup Exec.

On my first visit, and at the client's request, I changed the W2K Server Administrator's password, and the client reports that Backup Exec now gives an error message indicating that it cannot find the server.

I suspect that Backup Exec may have been using the Administrator's account to access the server, and that BE has a User/Password setting, but am not very familiar with Backup Exec.

I will be returning soon for a second visit and would like to resolve this issue at that time.

Can anyone shed light on this for me? All help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Phil
6 REPLIES 6

Phil_Wiener
Level 2
ADDENDUM: More specifically, what occurs is that when opening Backup Exec a dialog box is displayed from which a server is to be selected, but after changing the Administrator's password for the server, the server is no longer displayed in the dialog box, so there is no server to choose from and BE cannot proceed.

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
I'd guess that the BackupExec Services run under the Administrator account rather than a specific account.

Change the startup poperties of all the BackupExec services to either reflect the new Admin Password or change to a BackupExec Account with Local Admin rights.

Phil_Wiener
Level 2
SECOND ADDENDUM:

SYNOPSIS: Backup Exec is on a W2K Server in a workgroup, not a domain. BE ran fine until the Administrator (local user) password on the W2K server, was changed, after which BE no longer finds the W2K server. I have tried changing the Administrator password back to the original pw, but with no luck.

When I start Backup Exec, the Connect to Server screen is displayed. Since there is not a domain, I have tried entering the computer name of the W2K server (on which BE is installed), and also tried using the workgroup name. In both cases, the Server field at the top of this screen displays None. I have tried typing in the computer name of the W2K server in the Server field, with and without whacks (i.e. \\computername\ and computername), with no success.

After clicking the OK button, an error messagebox is displayed reading “Connecting to local media server” followed by a second messagebox reading “Application system service not responding”. After clicking the OK button on the messagebox, another message box titled Backup Exec is displayed with the message “You have not connected to a media server. Would you like to exit the application?”

This is a loop I can’t get through. One button brings me back to the Connect to Server screen and the other button exits the BE program. So my first question is, how can I access the Backup Exec program to examine the configuration, passwords, etc?

More info: the W2K Server’s Event Log for this error reads as follows: “The Backup Exec 8.x Naming Service service failed to start due to the following error: The service did not start due to a logon failure.” Well, duh, I already know that it’s a logon problem, and it’s probably because of a mismatch between a password in BE and the changed Administrator password.

The Backup Exec program’s security is set with Administrator privileges, so my best guess is that I need to get past the “Connect to Server” screen and into the Backup Exec program, so that I can change the logon password for BE – or at least that’s my best guess. But I’ve been wrong before.

Lastly, since it’s not a domain, there is no Active Directory, and I can’t locate any policies for Backup Exec in the Administrative Tools screens.

Does anyone have a solution to this problem?

Thanks,

Phil

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
From the services applet, change the logon properties of all the BackupExec Services.

Renuka_-
Level 6
Employee
Hello,
Please try the solution provided in the previous reply and revert to us.

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answeredand would be moved toanswered questions pool.

tejashree_Bhate
Level 6
Hello,

Please update on the issue.

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.