cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Brand new tape and label, showing up 0 capacity

MQec
Level 2

I have a full Network backup scheduled tomorrow at 6PM. 7 tapes. Our off-site tape vault service did not bring a box back to us yesterday, so the only 7 Network tapes I have are in my Overland unit. I found a box of unopened tapes along with a sheet of unused labels. I unwrapped 1 tape, slapped a label on it and inserted it into the Overland. When I run a scan on the Symantec, it recognizes the tape and label. But it's showing up having 0 capacity, and a Scratch media set. Could it be a problem with the tape? Also how do I assign it to use the Network 'media set'? My backup plan is to contact my off-site tape vault service and try and get them to return a box of 7 Network tapes tomorrow.

My knowledge is limited with the Symantec Backup Exec program. Normally I'm just switching out tapes with a box returned to us by our tape vault service. So you can see the importance of me needing 7 Network tapes before the end of day tomorrow. Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

5 REPLIES 5

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

But it's showing up having 0 capacity, and a Scratch media set.

It should be in the scratch set.  Probably will show use and capacity after is is first used

Also how do I assign it to use the Network 'media set'?

When BackupExec writes the header during the job, it will move the tape volume from the Scratch set to whatever set is used by the job

AmolB
Employee Accredited Certified

Keep the tapes in the scratch media set, run a backup with few directories selected and see how it 

goes. If it works your tapes are good, erase the backup and put the tapes in the scratch media set 

itself so that your full bakcup can acquire same tapes

Note: When you assign media to any media set it acquires properties (overwrite protection and 

append period) of the media set

MQec
Level 2

Thanks for the quick responses guys. I'll have to run a test backup. I did a Quick Erase on the new tape, and it now shows it as Blank Media with an available capacity of 391GB which makes me feel better. I'd feel a lot better knowing that the tape is set to Network before the backup tomorrow night, but as you say it'll assign the media set once a backup is ran. Appreciate the help guys, I'll go try that now.

wmheid
Level 4

Check under All Media and make sure that the labels you are using aren't being duplicated.  That happened to me once under the circumstances you are describing.

As a matter of practice whenever I insert new media into my library, I run an Inventory of the Library (yes, you could do media only) and then run an erase job on the new media.  Doing the inventory will exercise your Library and make sure that your hardware is working.  It also updates the BE DB to make sure it is accurate.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

He is using barcode labels so there is no need to do an inventory of the tape.