cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CPS Failover Process?

Forrest_Smith
Level 3
I've been running a test CPS environment successfully, keeping a continuously mirrored copy of a "production" server on the CPS server. I've also got BE 10d running in a real environment for my disaster-prevention backups. I'm curious as to how I would go about doing this: Say the production server fails, leaving me with the CPS "mirror" in the interim until I can fix the hardware and restore from the backups. How do I fail-over my users to the CPS server during the downtime; and how do I track the changes they make so I can get them back to the production server once it is back in service?
5 REPLIES 5

Gauri_Ketkar
Level 6
Hi,

-Please update us about the your Setup ...

In this situation which is the destination and Source Server ?

-Do you also have BE remote agent running on CPS Server ?

Update us on the same and revert for any further Query
Hope this will help you

Thank you
Gauri

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked "assumed answered" and would be moved to "answered questions" pool.

Forrest_Smith
Level 3
Let's see if I can explain this clearly:

Servername: SEEME
Server SEEME, function: Active Directory Windows 2003 File Server
Configuration: 1 TB storage array
Server Location: Closet A
Activity: Users access their files via server SEEME
BE function: Remote Agent is running on server SEEME

Servername: BACKGROUND
Server BACKGROUND function: Backup Exec Server; CPS server
BACKGROUND configuration: Windows 2003 server, 10 TB Disk attached
Server location: Closet B
Server BACKGROUND "can" have remote agent running

General Practice:
Files are backed up to a tape drive hosted on server BACKGROUND.
Files are continuously replicated from server SEEME to a "backup destination" (CPS terminology) on the disk array on BACKGROUND.
Question: Can files, with appropriate permissions, be backed up from BACKGROUND, or must they be backed up from SEEME to retain permissions?

Scenario:
Server SEEME fails.

Immediate Action:
I would like for users to be able to access their files from the "backup destination" on BACKGROUND.

Eventual solution:
Rebuild Server SEEME hardware. Restore file system from most recent tape backup. Copy files "changed" during outage to Server SEEME.

Gauri_Ketkar
Level 6
Hi,

Question: Can files, with appropriate permissions, be backed up from BACKGROUND, or must they be backed up from SEEME to retain permissions?
*from SEEME

Whereas as per your setup you can also perform local Backups of BACKGROUND and still backup all the files to tape !!

Update us on the same and revert for any further Query
Hope this will help you

Thank you
Gauri

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked "assumed answered" and would be moved to "answered questions" pool.

Forrest_Smith
Level 3
Not sure that I could back up files with proper permissions is those files don't have the proper permissions. This isn't really a backup question per se, however.

shweta_rege
Level 6
Hello,

Kindly check if the files, with appropriate permissions, can be backed up from BACKGROUND.

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered
and would be moved to answered questions pool.