cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CPS initial synchronization / replication VERY SLOW

Michael_Ben
Level 2
Hi,

I've found that at a couple of our customers' sites after initially installing CPS on the file servers etc, the initial synchronization is VERY slow.

For example, a file server with 300GB of data, replicating across 1 Gbps ethernet (in fact dual, teamed NICs in each HP DL380 server) took around 36 hours or a little more to fully replicate. I have another server with around 200GB of data which is still going, some 48 hours after I initially began the replication.

I've set the bandwidth limit to 100% for the job, the utilisation on the NIC is at around 1% and the servers are happily humming away. If I do a standard Windows copy-and-paste of a directory with 10GB of data, it copies across in around 8-10 minutes, which is avg speed for this type of connection. CPS however... well I won't even bother calculating the transfer rate there.

Has anyone come across this in the past? I've noticed a couple of questions posted about this issue on the forum, they have been left unanswered by Symantec Support staff for months...

Anyone have any ideas? Is there a setting in CPS or a registry hack I should be aware of?

Regards,

Michael
2 REPLIES 2

shweta_rege
Level 6
Hello,

As a preliminary recommendation we suggest you stop all third party applications such as Antivirus scan software that might interfere with the backup operations, during backup.

Kindly refer the following Document:

Document ID: 278651

http://support.veritas.com/docs/278651

Server performance may degrade if the Continuous Protection Server Indexing Database becomes too large

Thank You,

Shweta

Jorgen_Persson
Level 4
Hi Michael

Just curious if this fixed your problem. I have exactly the same problem and nothing I have tried have been able to take me past 2Mb/Sec. The data on my file servers are changing faster then that so CP would never be able to keep up. Does anyone else have this problem and have anyone been able to come up with a fix? I never used CPS on 10 so I don't know if that version worked better.

~Jorgen