cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CPS protected file server stops responding

Dirk_Vieregg
Level 3

We are running BE 12.0 Rev. 1364 with CPS 12.0.414.2801. All hot fixes and service packs as of today are applied.

CPS has been activated for our Win2003 file server (3 TB, 4 million files, VMware ESX 3.5) on May 2nd. Just a few days later, on May 6th, the server did not respond anymore for the first time. It did reply to a ping but accessing the shares did not work anymore. The servers GUI did not respond either. Restarting the server was the only thing I could do. This did help. However, the same thing happened again on May 26th and 29th.

Since - of course :) - nothing else has been changed and only the server with the CPS agent installed is involved, we are pretty sure that this is CPS related. Did anyone else experience this behavior too? Are there any suggestions or even solutions?

Regards
Dirk

6 REPLIES 6

M__H_bner
Not applicable

Hello Dirk,

we experienced exactly the same problem. Our fileserver crashed several times. This happened when trying to access files on the shared network-folders which were published by that server.We had to manually reset the server (it did not respond anymore except ping). It was a real headache until I finally uninstalled Continous Protection Server. Now we are using solely Backup Exec 12 without CPS and erverything works really fine.

Our system is a Win 2008 x64 as well.

BR
Malte

Kevin_E_
Level 2
Partner
I am currently running the same versions of BE and CPS as you both.  I am also having the issue where the server becomes unresponsive, but I can RDP in and reboot.  The strange issue I see when the server becomes unresponsive is when I look at the open files section of computer management, I see users with 5000 - 15000 files open but when I look at what those files are they don't have any open.  Same issue?  My file server is a Win 2003 SP2 with all updates.

rayjay
Level 3

Hi guys,

did anyone get a resolution to this ?, I have a similar setup (currently running 10d ) the main servers are 2003 / 2000 servers under vmware 3.0.2 but the backup server is a standalone wintel 2003 server box. Given your "freezing" issues, I'm a little concerned about moving to v12...any more news ?,

thanks,

Ray

cosmo2811
Not applicable

I am having the same issue with 2003 R2 STD protected file server, The only way to access server shares is to reboot, then the server stops responding again after few hours.

Anyone found a fix for this issue?

I think This is a major problem with the product that symantec has to do something to resolve 

ef2007
Level 4

Same issue on both the protection server and a business server (file server) (CPS 12.5 - W2k3 R2 SP2 Std x86): BSOD, code error 0x0000007f (0x00000008, 0xf7737fe0, 0x00000000, 0x00000000).

From crash dumps analysis, Windbg reported volsnap.sys (on the file server) and symevent.sys (on the protection server) as possible causes.

Regarding volsnap.sys, has someone tried to apply the VSS update rollup package for W2k3 (KB940349 - http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=kb%3Ben-us%3B940349&x=16&y=11) ?

Rafael_DAuria
Level 4
Hey guys,

Has anyone been able to solve this problem?

Tks