Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Catalog retired media for data restore

Anthonynz
Level 2
Partner

Hi,

We're using Backup Exec 12.5 rev.2213.

I'm trying to restore some data from an LTO3 tape which has been marked as retired.

I've hunted the ether to try and find a way to do this and so far have found that I should associate the retired media to a media set, right click the media - properties and set a label manually.

I can now inventory the media, but when I try to Catalog it, Backup exec gets stuck in an endless loop of loading the tape and spitting it back out.

It's not the tape - I've tried this with several now, I have about 10 that come up as "retired media".

If I don't associate them to a media set, they appear as "Unknown Media".

I'm using an HP Ultrium 3 1x8 Autoloader.

What can I try next? 
(I've rebooted several times and reinstalled the drivers several times - tried both Windows and Symantec drivers)

Thanks,

Anthony

2 REPLIES 2

Steve_W_
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Navigate to Tools/Options in the backup exec console.  Select Catalog and uncheck use storage media-based Catalogs and request all media in a sequence for catalog operations.  Try the catalog again. 

Anthonynz
Level 2
Partner
Sorry but this doesn't help. 

It was actually already set to "unchecked", I had ticked this option to see if it would help - but it did not. I've reset it to "unchecked" again.

When ever I've made a troubleshooting change that has not worked, I've restarted the services and tried again.  This hasn't helped so far.

Thanks for the suggestion,  what's next?