cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Configuration SQL recommend

_THOR_
Level 3

Hi,

I am having the warning V-79-40960-37914 with Symantec Backup 2010 R3.

The DB in SQL 2008 R2 is set to Full, and the Symantec Backup is also full.

What is the difference between a simple setup and a full, in case that the SQL fails, that type of setup would you recommend?

5 REPLIES 5

Backup_Exec1
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified
Hi Please check link below http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH126063 Hope that helps Thanks

_THOR_
Level 3

Hi,

What is the difference between a simple configuration or complete?

pkh
   VIP    Certified

When you set your SQL recovery mode to simple, then SQL does not maintian transaction logs and it would not be able to do point-in-time restores. (If you are not familiar with point-in-time restores, search the Internet for a full explanation.)  Some SQL applications requires full recovery mode, so you should check with your SQL administrator before you switch the database to simple recovery mode.

When the database is in full recovery mode, you would need to clear your transaction log by running a BE log backup.  Otherwise, it will grow and use up all your disk space.

_THOR_
Level 3

Then the warning from Symantec, to which relates?.

If I make a simple backup, backup and i only by the night, could only restore the previous day, never if for example i fails at 12.00h in the morning, no?

pkh
   VIP    Certified

The warning is when your database is maintaining logs and the logs are not being cleared by running a log backup.  If you don´t need to do point-in-time restores, then you can switch your databases to simple recovery mode, i.e. they don't maintain logs and the warning will disappear.  However, as I said before, some SQL application requires transaction logs so you should check with your SQL administrator before switching the database to simple recovery mode.