cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connect to media Server Issues

ltjimster
Level 6
Hello there,

I've having issues with my media on backup exec 12.5, it won't stay connected. I log off the server then log back on again and it asks for my administrator password everytime but it doesnt work, but if go to all services and start them from there it works but again stops running when i log off.

I've not changed any settings, any help would be appreciated :).

Cheers
Jamie
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

ltjimster
Level 6
Hi, Craig,

I might do if the thing that i've done now doesnt work. I've read on the symantec Site somewhere that Windows Updates can cause your backup Exec Services to be stopped (http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/310662.htm) because your server is doing update patches at the same time as the Backup jobs. So the solution is to set your Windows Updates to "Notify me, but don't automatically download or install them" then install the patch when you have the chance to.

I'll see how it goes over the next couple of days then Make as Solution if it works.

Thanks
James

View solution in original post

18 REPLIES 18

Hemant_Jain
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified
Did you check event logs, for any service crashes? Does it fail on some specific service startup?

Thanks

ltjimster
Level 6
I've sorted i just re-entered the administrator password on all of the services and its working again, very weird :)

But thank you for your help anywayz

ltjimster
Level 6
hello, sorry no it hasnt been solved, i thought i'd sorted it. It did work but its doing it again everytime i log off it just goes offline when i log back on.

Event log didnt show any fails of services, it just won't do it automatically. I can start them all by click on start all services in Backup Exec, like i said though i havent changed any settings.

ltjimster
Level 6

Just did an Incremental Backup last night which was successful but the services had stopped and asked me to log on it first  to connect a Media server before i could see if it worked ok, so i started the services again and the backup was successful. I think it disconnected after the job finished or it was just good timing.

All the services are configured correctly so i dont get it.

Is there a setting to disconnected the Media Server after a job finishes?

Cheers
Jamie

ltjimster
Level 6

Tried another backup, this time a full backup and again the job canceled after so long of running. I re-did the same job again after noticing all the service had stopped and i need to re-start them and log back on to the Media, but i always log off the server when i'm done and i log on through Remote Deskop Connection everytime too. When i started this job again after the first fail, it failed again and went for longer the second time but i didn't log off the server i just closed the remote desktop connection and left everything open.

What's going on?

Please Help

Cheers
Jamie

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited
Hi Jamie,

Do you perhaps use the same logon as the service account?
Have you looked at re-adding the service account details through BEutility, and then doing a DB repair through BEutility as well?

ltjimster
Level 6

Hello,

Yeah i use the same log on for the service account as i do the server.

I've re-entered account details in the Services then stoped and started them after doing so for it to take effect............ Where do i go for the BE utility please?

Jamie

CraigV
Do a search for it...it will be in the same directory as your Backup Exec installation...

ltjimster
Level 6
I've found the Utility, re-typed in the administrator username and password in and run a Repair on the database so i'll see how it goes tonight.

Cheers
Jamie

CraigV
OK, just make sure the services were restarted.
Laters!

ltjimster
Level 6
Okey it came up this morning with a box saying something about Database Maintenance has started and got 2 other boxes after that one showing results and then saying Database Maintenance has stopped........................ The services had stopped again but my Incremental backup had already completed anyway but i dont know if the services stopped was just a one off because of the database Maintenance.

Cheers
Jamie

ltjimster
Level 6

Did the same again last night full backup and came up with the database maintenance has started box and and disconnected my media server, so i didnt get a proper backup.

Please Help

Cheers
Jamie

ltjimster
Level 6
Still isnt working had to start the services again, the other server is fine no problems......................... Is there a setting to disconect the media or timeout after so long?

Cheers
Jamie

ltjimster
Level 6

I just looked in the event Viewer on the Server in question, it said Services stopped or started but thats about all it said apart from something i noticed that said;

"Adamm Database Event: Open Database Connection ...

Error = S_OK

Server = "DAVE"

Active Node = ""

Instance = "BkupExec"

Database = "BEDB"

Connection String = "DRIVER=SQL Server;SERVER=DAVE\BkupExec;DATABASE=BEDB;App=BEWS PVL"

Dont know if this is related to why it stopped but there was another one which said;

SQL Server has encountered 2 occurrence(s) of cachestore flush for the 'Object Plans' cachestore (part of plan cache) due to some database maintenance or reconfigure operations.

James

ltjimster
Level 6

Still getting issues, could it be anything to do with the SQL SERVER (BKUPEXEC) Service, that comes up in the event view as well, but does tell me much about it.

James

CraigV
Mmm...that DB could be broken.
Before trashing, I'm going to suggest logging a call with Symantec over this. See what they say, and if their suggestion works, post the solution here and close the query.
We'll all have that solution at hand then.

ltjimster
Level 6
Hi, Craig,

I might do if the thing that i've done now doesnt work. I've read on the symantec Site somewhere that Windows Updates can cause your backup Exec Services to be stopped (http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/310662.htm) because your server is doing update patches at the same time as the Backup jobs. So the solution is to set your Windows Updates to "Notify me, but don't automatically download or install them" then install the patch when you have the chance to.

I'll see how it goes over the next couple of days then Make as Solution if it works.

Thanks
James

ltjimster
Level 6
The update setting was the solution.

James