cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Copy Media Server Configuration Automatically?

Si
Level 3
Hi,

I have been backing up jobs and server configuration using the method stated here http://support.veritas.com/docs/274778 but it is quite time consuming to go through this process for all my media servers and it is easy to forget.

Is there any way to automate this process with a batch file or scheduled job?

I have found that I can dump the jobs using "bemcmd91 -o506" command line option and get it into a text file, but how could I import this into a server?

Would prefer to automate the "Copy Media Server Configuration" option as this seems more complete and would be easier to restore if necessary.

Any help appreciated.
Thanks

Message Edited by Si on 04-23-200704:32 AM

10 REPLIES 10

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Unless you have turned it off, Database Maintenance runs every night and creates a BEDB.BAK file.  You should be able to script copying this to a different server.  You can recover your config from this using the procedure outlined in the TechNote   

Si
Level 3
What technote outlines restoring the config from the DB bak file?

Does the DB store all of the media server config, jobs etc?

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

As to what is  backed up:   it's everything except the Job Logs and the Catalogs

Si
Level 3
Thanks, but thats a TechNote explaining how to dump the DB.

It says:

"The dumped database can be brought online using the Recover Database option of BEUtility (refer to the Related Documents section of this TechNote)."

But there isn't a TechNote in the Related Documents about recovering the DB!

I've tried a search, but can't find it...

Thanks for your help

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Start BEUTIL, select Recover from File, and point it at the saved BEDB.BAK

In Figure 2, three lines below the Dump Database option is Recover Database

Si
Level 3
I see. So on a blank default Backupexec install, I could simply recover the DB and all jobs and schedules would re-appear and it would be back working just the same again?

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Yep -

You may have to create new B2D folders of course, and will probably need to edit the jobs to point to a device on the new server,  but jobs, schedules, policies etc should all exist as before 

Si
Level 3
Great. And I assume also file selections and exclusions?

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Should be

Everything that BackupExec knows about except the Job Logs and Catalogs is stored in the database as of v9.0

Si
Level 3
Ok. Thanks for your help.