cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disable "Cancel command if not completed within x minutes"?

brupnick
Level 4

Good morning-

Is there a way to disable the "Cancel command if not completed within x minutes" option?  I want BE to trigger the job and then complete, regardless of what happens with the post-command.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

pkh
   VIP    Certified

As I said previously, your post-command is separate from your job.  Your job will finish regardless of what is set in the "cancel command" option.  The "cancel command" option will only come into play when your post-command fails to complete within the set amount of time.  It will not affect your job.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

pkh
   VIP    Certified

No. There is no way to disable this option.  You can extend this option by giving it a long period.  By the way, "cancel command" means canceling the pre-/post-command if the time limit set is exceeded.  This option does not affect the job issuing the commands.

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Post-comand runs only after the backup...Are you trying to ensure that the Backup job runs & completes ir-respective of the pre-command status ? If yes, you may uncheck the option - Run job only if pre-command is successful

brupnick
Level 4

I think we were on the right track until you mentioned a pre-command.  I have no pre-command, just a post-.  Ideally, I want the BE job to run and back up all the targets.  Then, I want BE to trigger the post-command and then have BE job finish, without waiting for the post-command to finish, fail, etc.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

As I said previously, your post-command is separate from your job.  Your job will finish regardless of what is set in the "cancel command" option.  The "cancel command" option will only come into play when your post-command fails to complete within the set amount of time.  It will not affect your job.

brupnick
Level 4

I'll have to double check this, but the reason that I started this thread was because when my job ran for the first time, I noticed that I didn't get my email notification until well after that actual tape backup portion of the job finished.  The command that I call (an rsync replication command) sends an email when it's done and took over an hour to run.  I received the rsync command email and the BE job completion email at the same time, leading me to believe that the BE job isn't officially finished until the post-command also finishes.

I also question that the status of the post-command doesn't affect the outcome of my BE job, but again, I need to double check.

brupnick
Level 4

So this is indeed what is happening; the BE job isn't officially finished until the post-command also finishes. Is there a way to change this behavior?

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

Pre- and post commands are slightly misnamed

- a pre commoand actually happens just after the job starts and media has been allocated and mounted (which can result in not being able to run utility jobs in pre-commands as drives will be in use)

- a post command will run just before the end of the job

The reason for this is that it is a process within the job that calls the command files and not a separately scheduled process that knows that the job is about to start or has just ended.

As such I don't think you can change the behaviour