cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drive Keeps going offline

Brendan_Foley
Level 3
I have a Sony Spectra 215 that keeps going offline. It will run some successful jobs then go offline. It is in the Device Manager as Unknown Medium Changer (Microsoft) as per Symantec's recommendation and the Sony SDX-700V drives have the latest firmware and use Symantec drivers. All SCSI hardware BIOS and drivers are up to date. The Adaptec 39160 host adapter has 2 Spectra 215 connected to it. The other library and 2 Sony SDX-700V drives have no issue at all. I swapped cables to make sure I do not have failing cables or terminators, nothing changed.

I recently sent to whole library to Sony Support to recondition and still have this issue. I see the following in my adamm.log:

[3944] 03/10/08 19:34:02.782 PvlChanger::MapErrorCode() - offline device
       Drive = 1017 "SONY 1"
       ERROR = 0xE000820A (E_CHG_HARDWARE)

I can easily re-enable to drive, restart core services or reboot the libraries and server and everything will work for a few jobs, then go offline.

Any ideas?
1 REPLY 1

Nathan_Sargent
Level 3
Did you ever find a resolution to this problem?  I have a similar situation where the drives in my HP library go offline and all I need to do to get them going again is restart the BE services...  I see there are a couple of updates to BE12 and a newer driver install, but my backups and restores have pretty much been fine until a couple of days ago.