cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Encryption Key

vigneshwaran
Level 6

Hi,

We are running some jobs using passphrase key. Now we are restore that data it's automatically taken(passphrase key) from the Database.

This encryption key was created before 2 years. So now we want to find the Password for this key.

- vicky...

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

Hi Vicky

There is no way to recover a passphrase, anyone using Encryption should document their passphrases and store that documentation in a firesafe (or at very leats at a separate location)

To cover for your existing data you should make sure you  backup the Backup Exec database regularly and recover that. I would also suggest that if you can, you change the passphrase to Common as it will make things slightly easier if the original account that created it no longer exists

Also, I would recommend not encrypting however you backup the Backup Exec database as it you mess up the encryption of this backup you will have no way back.

Finally you should follow Donald's advice, change any existing backup jobs that use a passphrase you don't know to one you do and document the date of the change to be kept with the passphrase so you know when to use which passphrase.

I repeat there is no ability to recover the details of a passphase, this is becuase the whole point of encryption is to make data impossible to read without knowing the security phrase.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Donald_Eady
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Vicky please let me know if im understanding your issue correctly. You have backup sets that you want to restore from but they are protected with a passphrase that was created to years ago "So you dont know what the passphrase is". If this is correct you may have a very serious issue. Without the passphrase you will not be able to restore the data from the backups that are protected. I dont know of a way to recover this passphrase. You may want to inquire about the documentation and see if youre able to locate the origional passphrase. Unless youre able to locate that passphrase i would delete and recreate that backup job and safely document the new passphrase as youll not be able to restore from any of the jobs protected with an unknown passphrase. 

vigneshwaran
Level 6

Hi Donald,

You are correct. I don't know about that passpharse, Now also the job running with this passpharse. But it's stored in Database so that no issue. If any one remove that key then we are trying to restore the that time it will be a big problem. So guide me How to get the passpharse and Clarify the Encryption key location and how to recove this.

- vicky...

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

Hi Vicky

There is no way to recover a passphrase, anyone using Encryption should document their passphrases and store that documentation in a firesafe (or at very leats at a separate location)

To cover for your existing data you should make sure you  backup the Backup Exec database regularly and recover that. I would also suggest that if you can, you change the passphrase to Common as it will make things slightly easier if the original account that created it no longer exists

Also, I would recommend not encrypting however you backup the Backup Exec database as it you mess up the encryption of this backup you will have no way back.

Finally you should follow Donald's advice, change any existing backup jobs that use a passphrase you don't know to one you do and document the date of the change to be kept with the passphrase so you know when to use which passphrase.

I repeat there is no ability to recover the details of a passphase, this is becuase the whole point of encryption is to make data impossible to read without knowing the security phrase.

vigneshwaran
Level 6

Hi,

Thanks for your reply. I have some questions, pls explain me.

We are running jobs with old encryption key. So if i want to restore the data it's required. (It's automatically taken from Database)

How to i backup that encryption key. If it's deleted or corrupted that time i'll use from backup. Please explain those things.

- vicky...

Donald_Eady
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Vicky, 

Please review page 349 in the Admin guide... are you running Backup Exec 12.5

http://www.symantec.com/docs/DOC2284

or backup exec 12.0  Page 334

vigneshwaran
Level 6

We are running BE 12.5...

- vicky