cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error Configuring Remote Agent for Deduplication

Markus2791
Level 4

Hi all....

I am trying to get "client-side deduplication" setup.  When I get to the "Configure Remote Agent for Deduplication" window, I enter the server name and select the appropriate account, (which has full administrative rights on the remote machine.)

When I click on "OK", I get this error:

Unable to authenticate with the NDMP server, or with the remote computer that is configured as a Remote Media Agent, or with the remote computer that is configured for deduplication.

I am using Backup Exec 2010 R2.  The "Deduplication Storage Folder" property is set to "Allow remote agents to use client-side deduplication".

The server I am trying to backup has the Windows Remote Agent installed, and I have no problems backing up the machine.

Again, the error says "Unable to AUTHENTICATE", NOT "Unable to CONNECT".

Yes, I have tried it with the firewall on both machines set to "Off".

Any advice?

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Markus2791
Level 4

Fascinating......  the answer is no, but I then played around with different passwords.  Mine has a single-quot in it, and that appears to be causing the problem.

(I found another article that mentions they had the problem because of a SPACE in thier passwords.)

Thanks, Case Closed.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

teiva-boy
Level 6

Can you also try the FQDN or by IP?  If by IP it works, you may have some underlying DNS issue preventing proper operation.  

Markus2791
Level 4

Yes, I have tried IP, FQDN, and just the machine name.  Still the same problem.

I am able to telnet from the media server to the remote machine on port 10000 too, so that confirms that my network cable are plugged in on both machines.

The keyword in the error message is "Authentication", but I have had no luck with local Administrator accounts & domain admin accounts either.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks!

Markus2791
Level 4

I've done some more tests, and it works with certain Domain Admin accounts, and not with others.

It works with the original "Built-In" Domain Administrator account, and any NEW account I create and add to the "Domain Administrators" group.

It does not work with any other accounts that are members of the Domain Admins group.

Frustrating...............

sammy_perfect
Level 5

Hi Mark,

If the issue is with some a/c which are part of domain admin group it might be something with long password for same you can refer link below & see if that is the case

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH130269

Thank You

Markus2791
Level 4

Fascinating......  the answer is no, but I then played around with different passwords.  Mine has a single-quot in it, and that appears to be causing the problem.

(I found another article that mentions they had the problem because of a SPACE in thier passwords.)

Thanks, Case Closed.