cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error "Backup Device Error"

daniele_catalfa
Level 2
Hello to everybody, I'm new of this newsgroup.
I got a "Backup Device Errors", 0x00084ed, but i didn't find any further information, so I don't understand if it's a Tape Library problem or a Tape Media problem.

I try to look for some information in support section, but I found nothing.

Can Anyone tell me where I can look for useful information.
I use Backup Exec 9.1 on W2K and a DELL tape library.

Thanks
Daniele
6 REPLIES 6

Kishore_Natvarl
Level 4
HI

Please have a look at your windows event logs to see what sort of errors are recorded regarding your library.

What type of library do u have?

daniele_catalfa
Level 2
In event log the error I see It's not very clear (almost for me):
The job failed with the following error: A hardware error occured.

Is there any other log I can look for further information?

Kishore_Natvarl
Level 4
Hi

Okay.. Just some information needed

1. Jobs Like , inventory, Erase. Does thess jobs complete successfully.

2. Can u give me the event id that is recorded on your windows event logger ( Application or system).

3. Is your device identified 100% in windows.

4. What drivers are currenlty been used on your Library?

daniele_catalfa
Level 2
I give you more information:
1) We have 6 jobs scheduled during night. Generarally we see all jobs successfully executed in the morning. Jobs link inventory are always successfully completed. We have no erase jobs. Sometimes we have this borig error.
2) The event log id is 34113
3) The device is the DELL PowerVault 132T Library
4) The drivers used are provided by adaptec (2.8.0.6076) and were installed with Library

The OS running Veritas is Windows 2000 Server

Kishore_Natvarl
Level 4
Hi Daniele

Okay. Let try a different way to look at the problem u are experiencing.

1. Have a look Via your Veritas Interface / Device tab/ Select your tape drive & check the properties of the drive.Go to your Statistics tab & see if there are any hardware errors logged. If there are errors there this is an indication that there could be a problem with the hardware itself & not the Software. Also errors logged there will also be present on your Windows event viewer, typically with Event id;s 7,11, 15

2.Do you have diagnostics vendor software( Dell) that you can run to acertain the intergrity of your Library/drive.

3. From my experience "Backup Device error" pertains to the Physical Tape / Library & will have nothing to do with your media.

Hope this assist you with your problem

tejashree_Bhate
Level 6
Hello,

With reference to the previous reply to your post, we would request you to update us on the progress.
Also update the firmware and the device drivers.

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.