cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Event ID 16397 - Windows lightweight directory access protocol failed a request to connect to active directory domain services

Shaun_Michelson
Level 3

Just upgraded from BE 2010 to 2012, and now receiving the following error message whenever backup jobs start on the media server:

Log Name:      Application
Source:        NfsClnt
Date:          7/5/2012 3:43:09 AM
Event ID:      16397
Task Category: None
Level:         Warning
Keywords:      Classic
User:          N/A
Computer:      ****
Description:
  Windows(R) Lightweight Directory Access Protocol (LDAP) failed a request to connect to Active Directory Domain Services(R) for Windows user <applereit\beadmin>.

Without the corresponding UNIX identity of the Windows user, the user cannot access Network File System (NFS) shared resources.

Verify that the Windows user is in Active Directory Domain Services and has access permissions.

Read elsewhere on the forum that uninstalling the "DLO license" fixes the problem, but I don't seem to have that license installed/enabled. Any suggestions?

Also, receive the following message once each night when the backup job first begins on the media server:

Log Name:      System
Source:        Tcpip
Date:          7/5/2012 12:02:04 AM
Event ID:      4227
Task Category: None
Level:         Warning
Keywords:      Classic
User:          N/A
Computer:      ****
Description:
TCP/IP failed to establish an outgoing connection because the selected local endpoint was recently used to connect to the same remote endpoint. This error typically occurs when outgoing connections are opened and closed at a high rate, causing all available local ports to be used and forcing TCP/IP to reuse a local port for an outgoing connection. To minimize the risk of data corruption, the TCP/IP standard requires a minimum time period to elapse between successive connections from a given local endpoint to a given remote endpoint.

Any help with either of these error messages would be greatly appreaciated.

5 REPLIES 5

Anshuma_Patni
Level 3
Employee

Hi Shaun,

In order to proceed on this, can you provide us with some additional information as follows:
1. Are those backup jobs for which you are getting these warnings completing successfully and you are able to view the backed-up data properly in the restore view?
2. Are you getting these warnings for all backup jobs or only for backup job which is backing-up some specific resource?
3. If latter, then what are the type of resources in backup job for which you are getting these warnings? Additionally, if you could provide us with the logs of that backup job using SGMon.exe from Backup Exec installation folder and selecting 'Job Engine, RAWS and Agent Browser' option then that would be of further help.

Thanks.

Shaun_Michelson
Level 3

1. The backup jobs are completing successfully and I'm able to view the data.

2. Warnings are only for 1 specific backup job, multiple resource types (Files/Folders, DFS shares, System State, Utility Partition)

3. Not sure how to use the SGMon tool. You want this to be running at the same time that the job is running? Or am I able to use it to open completed job logs?

Anshuma_Patni
Level 3
Employee

Thanks Shaun.

In order to collect logs using SGMon, launch SGMon.exe from media server before running that specific backup job. Launch SGMon.exe from "\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec" and select 'Job Engine, RAWS and Agent Browser' option. Also select 'Capture to File' option.Once that is done, run the job. After job completion in the SGMon select 'Open Log' which will show you the logs collected for that job run.

Thanks.

Shaun_Michelson
Level 3

I've gathered the logs, are you able to access Symantec FTP site? I've uploaded them under case# 418-741-855. If not, are you looking for something in particular? I'd rather not have the entire contents of the log available publicly.

Anshuma_Patni
Level 3
Employee

Thanks Shaun.

Since you already have a support case filed with Symantec, this issue will get addressed through the Symantec Tech Support.