cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exchange IS is not visible in the backup selection

reddoor_network
Level 4

Hi all im running version 12 rev 1364 with service pack 5 installed along with hotfixes 358179 and 141388 and  the Exchange Information Store selection is no longer visible in the backup selection.

I am aware of some articles already covering this but they refer to service pack 3 which I dont have installed and also to a hotfix that I dont have installed.

Any help would be great thanks.

29 REPLIES 29

Ben_L_
Level 6
Employee

It appears that a couple of the exchange dll's that BE uses aren't loading properly.

Can you rename these 2 files and then run a repair?

bedsxese.dll
bedsmbox.dll

Just rename them to .old

The files should be located in C:\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec

reddoor_network
Level 4

Hi have tried that but appear to me having the same issue I have attached the latest log file for you.

Thanks for your help

Ben_L_
Level 6
Employee

I'd like to look at some of the other logs from the server, can you run a vxgather on the server and upload it to the ftp?

vxgather - http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH87299

Just use 111-111-111 as the case number and leave the defaults checked.

reddoor_network
Level 4

Hi results have been sent via FTP. Anything else you need from me just let me know.

Thanks

Ben_L_
Level 6
Employee

Can you locate mapi32.dll in C:\Windows\System32 and let me know the version and date of the file?

reddoor_network
Level 4

Hi version is 6.5.7638.1 and date 25/8/05

Ben_L_
Level 6
Employee

Well that seems to be the correct version of MAPI.

Can you run through the steps in this technote to verify MAPIis being loaded correctly by Backup Exec.  The technote is not for the issue you are seeing, but the steps to check MAPI are identical.

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH60504

reddoor_network
Level 4

Right tried that and had what appeared to be a problem with the mapi file so I renamed the file and copied the file from a different server which is version 6.5.7654.12 then restarted the symantec services and it was back in the list.

So all seems ok now, will it matter that I have copied this file from the server and that it is a slightly different version?

Thanks

Ben_L_
Level 6
Employee

It should be fine, as long as you are able to backup and restore the exchange data the version of mapi doesn't really make that much of a difference.

reddoor_network
Level 4

Ok great well looks like it was the mapi32.dll file that was the problem, thanks so much for all your help!!!