cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Extremely Slow Remote Backups

SF_Chewy
Level 4

Hello all,

I'm currently attempting to diagnose why my remote backup is extremely slow. By extremely slow I mean running at 5.0MB a minute! The remote computer is an FTP server, NOT on our domain. I did manage to push out the remote agent onto the remote FTP server, however it does not show up in the Selections under Windows Systems. I'm able to add it as a User-defined Selection. I know the backup server can reach the FTP server via ping (both via name and IP) and all the credentials are correct. I've tried to add it as a Windows System manually (right-click Add Windows System). It does detects it and I get a message saying that it will be available shortly, but never shows up under Windows System category.

Here is the config for both machines:

Backup Server

• Running on Win 2k3 Standard 64 bit with latest SPs
  • Backup Exec 12.5 with latest SPs
  • Logged into our domain

FTP Server (Remote Server)

• Running Win 2k8 Standard 64 bit with SP2
  • RAWS was push installed successfully from the BE Server
  • Not on the domain
  • Firewall is disabled

Any help/pointers/tips for increasing the speed of the backup would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

SF_Chewy
Level 4

I enabled File Sharing and change the network profile to Private. This seems to have done the trick as my backups sped up to about 600MB/min. I believe Windows Firewall has some settings that reduce/block traffic unless this option is open.

Take warning though: If you enable File Sharing, you open the ports to EVERYONE, not just the people for your network. Take time to properly configure your setup (on the computer and hardware firewall).

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

What are the copy speeds between the FTP server and the media server and vice versa?

SF_Chewy
Level 4

Hi,

I don't have the exact speeds, but I'm able to to get about 10MB/sec on a 314MB file. This was from the backup server to the FTP server.

I also realized that communication sort of goes one way. I can reach the FTP server from the backup server, but not vice versa. These computers are on seperate subnets.

Odd thing is, I have another server on the same subnet and I get much better speeds than 5.0MB/min (around 343.00MB/min).

SF_Chewy
Level 4

I enabled File Sharing and change the network profile to Private. This seems to have done the trick as my backups sped up to about 600MB/min. I believe Windows Firewall has some settings that reduce/block traffic unless this option is open.

Take warning though: If you enable File Sharing, you open the ports to EVERYONE, not just the people for your network. Take time to properly configure your setup (on the computer and hardware firewall).