cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Full backup fails during verify, device paused, error V-79-57344-33861

cmhadley
Level 2
Hello,

I am using Backup Exec 12.5 on a windows XP system and Dell RD1000 160GB data cartridges.  I am using a monthly full backup with daily differentials inbetween, and everything was fine until I switched disks for the month of September.  I started receiving this error during full backups, however, Daily backups still complete without error.  The full backup makes it to the verify stage, then the text turns red and the device is paused.  This stays for about 3 or 4 seconds and then the job fails with error E0008445 - Media operation terminated by user.  When you go into the job log, it says the Physical volume library drive or robot paused, offline, or disabled.  

From the research I have done, it seems this problem is related to a backup that spans multiple tapes or media, however, my full backup is only ~15GB and I'm backing up to a 160GB disk that is nowhere near full.  This backup scheme had worked fine the whole month of August, but as soon as I put in a new disk I started getting this error.  I have even tried using different disks and still the same problem.  I have verified that the disks are ok, windows sees them just fine and I can open them through my computer and see all the files.  It seems that Backup Exec has some sort of bug or glitch and the verify utility doesn't start properly.  The verify stage never actually starts, it comes up in red and doesn't verify a single bit of data.  

Also, when I run the full backup with the Verify turned off, it completes without any problems.  What could be causing this?

Thanks,

Craig
1 REPLY 1

cmhadley
Level 2
Update:

I tried using a different hard drive to back up the data and it didn't work, so this ruled out hardware.... the next course of action was to try a Repair with the installation disk.  This also did not work.  The last thing on the list to do was to completely remove and reinstall the program.  I didn't want to have to do this but I went ahead and tried it.  I created the backups the exact same as before and used the same disks, and now it works again. 

There was obviously something wrong with the software or a setting, what could have caused this?