cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How does incremental backup work?

justCharlie
Level 4

I have BackupExec 12.5 for Windows Server 2003.

Two questions.

1. If the tape has been erased clean, will incremental backup backs up everything since the tape has no existing data?

2. If the tape has existing data and shows only about 1GB of memory left but is overwritable, I am still able to do backup until the tapes becomes protected, correct? Another word, I do not have to erase the tape every time I insert another tape because the current tape is full, correct?

Thank you.
6 REPLIES 6

RahulG
Level 6
Employee

The Incremental backup does not Depend on what data you have on the tape ....
When have two types of backup
1. Using Archive bit
2. Using modified time

The archive bit is the property of the File which is being backuped up and the modified time is the time stamp on the file . It has no reference to the Tape

RahulG
Level 6
Employee

When you run the incremental backup it checks the attribute of the file or the time stamp and not the what data you have on the tape
It would append or overwrite as you have specified in the backup job in the device and media tab of the backup job properties

justCharlie
Level 4

Thanks for the response, RhulG but I still don't get what you're trying to say. My first question, if the tape is wiped out clean, does it mean that the first time BackupExec backs up the data it will be a full backup since there is no data exist to do any incremental backup eventhough the backup job is set to do Incremental?

On to my second question.
Let's say the tape as 5 days of backup data. The first backup is a full backup and the rest are incremental. The tape is set to have 1 day overwrite protection. Now, two weeks later I put this same tape in. The first overwrite will be the full backup, correct? If not, what will get overwrite first? And if the full backup has been overwrite with an incremental backup, does the tape still has eveything now?

Hywel_Mallett
Level 6
Certified
 If the tape has been erased clean, will incremental backup backs up everything since the tape has no existing data?

We'll assume your incremental backup is using the archive bit.

The archive bit is a marker on each file, which gets "turned on" when a file is created or modified. In Windows you can see it by viewing a file's advanced properties (It's called File is ready for archiving).

When you perform a full backup, every file included in your selection lists (apart from those excluded by active file exclusion) is backed up, and the archive bit is "turned off" on each file.

When you perform an incremental backup, every file included in your selection lists (apart from those excluded by active file exclusion) that has the archive bit "turned on" is backed up, and the archive bit is "turned off" on each file.

So the decision about whether a file is included in an incremental backup is made by the presence of the archive bit, which is stored with the file. So in your scenario, incremental backups will not include every file.

If the tape has existing data and shows only about 1GB of memory left but is overwritable, I am still able to do backup until the tapes becomes protected, correct? Another word, I do not have to erase the tape every time I insert another tape because the current tape is full, correct?

If your tape is overwritable, then you can overwrite data on it. It won't become overwrite protected until the moment you write data to it. You don't have to erase tapes, because if the tape is overwritable, and you backup data to it, it simply overwrites the existing data.

In the last 5 years I haven't run a single erase job. Overwriting data is all you need normally.

justCharlie
Level 4

Many thanks for Hywel Mallett's response. I am starting to understand it now. At first I wasn't too clear about RahulG's modified date and archive bit scenero but now I am. I guess I'm a bit slow.

Anyway, I have a few additional questions. So to guaranteee that I have all the files backup, I should do a full backup everytime, right?

Here's another scenero. If I do a full backup the first time I inserted the tape and since that turns the archive bit off, then will the next night's incremental backup backs up any file since they were all turned off during the full backup? I guess I'm not sure what makes/turns the acrhive bit "on" again. It sounds like any backup (regardless if it is incremental or full backup) will turn off the archive bit but what turns it on so that the file will be backed up again the next time. I just did a couple of tests and it seems that any file modification or adding new file will automatically turn this archive bit on. Is that a correct assumption?

Again thank you so much for the help and explanation.

Glenn_Hanratty
Level 2
 I just did a couple of tests and it seems that any file modification or adding new file will automatically turn this archive bit on. Is that a correct assumption?

Yes.  Any time a FILE changes--it's updated--it's new--anything that changes it by editing it--this will turn on the archive bit--which tells Backup Exec "Back me up next time". During the backup job, the archive bit is then turned off. It will STAY off until the file is modified again.

Forget about the MEDIA (tape, disk, whatever) that your sending your backup jobs to---that has nothing to do with whether or not a file or folder gets backed up. It all depends on the archive bit. Make sense?