cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to restore or catalog from RDX cartridges

Brian_Hart_2
Level 3
Using BE 12, Service Pack 4.  The backups seem to proceed without any errors.

When I try to restore files, the program tells me to Catalog the cartridges.  Catalog is greyed out and I cannot proceed.

When I Inventory the cartridge, and then ask BE to restore files, it asks for other media.  None of the other media seems to be the one it is looking for.

1.  How can I get a restore from this system?
2.  How can I change the backup settings to make this process go without having to Catalog or Inventory manually?

Thanks
Brian Hart
2 REPLIES 2

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited
Hi Brian,

I have had this happen to me, and I had 1 of 2 solutions:

1. The date I was restoring from was too far back, and outside of the catalog maintenance window of maintaining catalogs for 90 days. I got around this by changing the date in the restore window to a couple of days BEFORE I wanted to restore from.

2. Go to: Tools --> Options --> Catalog, and deselect the option "Use storage media-based catalogs".

From the Help menu:

Allows Backup Exec to read the catalog information from the media.

Media-based catalogs allow quick cataloging of media that are not included in the disk-based catalog (for example, media that was written by another installation of Backup Exec). This feature enables media to be cataloged in minutes, rather than the hours required with traditional file-by-file cataloging methods.

If you want to create a new catalog by having Backup Exec read each file block, clear this option. Clearing this option is only recommended if normal catalog methods are unsuccessful.

If you uncheck Request all media in the sequence for catalog operations, then the Use storage media-based catalogs check box cannot be selected.

You cannot use Granular Recovery Technology if you select this option.

try that, and post back whether or not it helps...

Laters!

Brian_Hart_2
Level 3

Craig:

I was only trying to go back about 10 days, so solution 1 is not relevant.

I changed the Catalog option, now what can I expect to happen?  I will be at my client later today to try it, but I am not sure how this changes anything.

Thanks
Brian