cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to configure the second removable drive?

Stefano_Gianfra
Level 4

Hi,

I've changed my configuration from B2D to RB2D, since I could not eject the disks (I'm using Tandberg QuikStor with 4  RDX disks, BE is 2010 R2, fully patched), neither by button, nor by eject command within BE. Since I deleted everything and defined an RB2D device on the first disk the eject command now works.

But there is another issue. Today on monday I phoned my customer and told him to pull out drive "Week 1" and push in the next drive called "Week 2". I then tried to create an RB2D device on that drive as I did before with the first drive. The first one was called "Removable backup to disk folder 0001", so I tried to name the second one "Removable backup to disk folder 0002". But when I try this, the wizard gives me an error message:

"Could not create backup to disk folder because this folder already is used by another backup to disk folder." 

I guess this has something to do with the fact that BE refers to RDX drive as "folder". I.e. RB2D wizard asks you to enter the desired "folder" to save the backups in, but in fact you're not allowed to enter a folder name, only a drive letter is accepted. And this drive letter in fact is the same, in my case it is "E:".

How can I overcome this? I tried to figure it out myself but there are contradicting statements of how to achieve this. Some say "don't use RB2D folders even with removable cartridges", others are recommending the use of RB2D folders. 

Thanks in advance for a hint.

Regards,
Stefano

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

I've never actually used RB2D, but my understanding is that a new folder of the same name should be created on each physical cartridge if you insert and then inventory the media

If no one else jumps in soon, I'll set the support flag to draw the attention of the Symantec Techs

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi Stefano,

A good read about this topic is pkh's article below. Give it a read and see if it helps you at all the removable B2D drives...

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/articles/how-rotate-external-harddisks

Thanks!

Stefano_Gianfra
Level 4

Craig,

thanks for input. I've seen that article, it is the one I was referring to as I said "Don't use RB2D folders..." The article states:

> Define them as you would define B2D folders on internal
> disks.  Do not use Removable B2D folders unless you are
> using CDR-RW, DVD-RW, ZIP or REV.  For USB or eSata
> drives, use normal B2D folders.

In fact it worked so far with B2D folders. The problem is that you cannot get the cartridges out, because BE does not offer eject functionality together with B2D drives (well, it doesn't make sense). Windows explorer neither throws the cartridge out because BE is occupying it.

Regards,
Stefano

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

Are you running 2010 or 2010 R2?  R2 has much enhanced removable disk handl\ing, so if you aren't there yet, I woule recommend this as the first step

you're not allowed to enter a folder name, only a drive letter is accepted. And this drive letter in fact is the same, in my case it is "E:".

That is correct.  RB2D can only be created at the root of the physical device, and only one per physical device

RDX and RB2D should work fine. 

Stefano_Gianfra
Level 4

Ken, we're using 2010 R2 (with all patches). 

RDX and RB2D should work fine. 

Well, I guess and hope so. :) But how do you achieve the goal of having an RDX system with fixed drive letter and 4 cartridges which you want to rotate and have ejected  automatically?

Regards,
Stefano

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

I've never actually used RB2D, but my understanding is that a new folder of the same name should be created on each physical cartridge if you insert and then inventory the media

If no one else jumps in soon, I'll set the support flag to draw the attention of the Symantec Techs

Stefano_Gianfra
Level 4

... if you insert and then inventory the media

Oh, I did not think of running an inventory. I just did that now and Backup is on it's way! It seems that BE does not need another RB2D folder, just the one I named "Removable backup-to-disk folder 0002". After taking inventory BE created a sort of subfolder in the devices view below the folder called "Removable backup-to-disk folder 0002" which is called "FLDR000016"  (something like that). On the previous cartridge this subfolder was called "FLDR00015". All subsequent disks will be handled by BE in this way, as it seems. Next week I'll have to take an inventory of cartridge "Week 3" and there should be a folder called "FLDR00017".

It looks like you brought me on the right path, Ken, with your remark. I'll watch the progress of this backup and report...

Meanwhile: THANKS SO MUCH to you and the other guys for your efforts!

Regards,
Stefano 

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

Great!

if this indeed resolves you problem. please come back and mark the thread as solved