cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to specify order tapes are used in a loader.

Paul_Stephan
Level 2
We have an 8 tape loader and typically load it with 4 tapes for this week's backup and 4 for next weeks. Our tapes are named Set 1-A, Set 1-B, Set 1-C, Set 1-D, Set 2-A, Set 2-B, Set 2-C, and Set 2-D, etc. When we load the tapes, they are in order such that slot 1 contains Set 1-A, slot 2 contains Set 1-B, ... slot 5 contains Set 2-A, etc.

The problem (or maybe inconvenience) is that when backups run it appears to randomly select a slot and tape to start with. We would really like it to start with slot 1 and move on as needed.

I saw some other posts that discussed creating partitions to do this, but it sounds like that only works if we want each job to use a different partition, but this is not what we are looking for. We run the same two jobs every day to do incrementals and would like to continue doing this as opposed to creating different jobs for each day.

Any thoughts or suggestions? Thanks for your assistance.
3 REPLIES 3

Philip_Pearson
Level 6
I think you need to create different jobs.

Shane_Vincent
Level 4
Hi Paul,
The backup should not take tapes at random, it should take the oldest tape first from your media set. What i did was only release one tape at a time for backup until all tapes had been used at least once. Then the backup job should automatically choose the oldest tape next time. Not sure if this is the best method but it worked for me. My setup was DAY1-4, WEEK 1-4 then monthly. so i also have different jobs setup taking from different media sets.

Hope this helps.

Regards - Shane

Rucha_Abhyankar
Level 6
Hi Paul,

It is dependant on the options that you have selected under Tools>Options>Media management.

Also the Overwrite Protection Level that you have chosen.

Please go through these documents.

1.An explanation of the "Overwrite Protection Period" and the "Append Period"

http://support.veritas.com/docs/237374

2.The basics of Advanced Device and Media Management for Backup Exec for Windows Servers

http://support.veritas.com/docs/192265

==============