cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Incremental SQL Server Backup Fails after a database has been added

rhavlick
Level 2

Hello,

I have a SQL Server (2008 R2) I'm backing up with Backup Exec 2010.  I just have all databases in the SQL Server Instance being backed up with a full backup every night at 11 PM and then incremental backups every 1 hour.  From time to time we add a new database during the day, so if we add a new database at 2:00 PM, there will be 9 failed backups because the incremental backups can be performed without a full backup.

Is there any way to either manually backup just a single new database into the backup job OR is there a way to automatically have Backup Exec do a full backup of that new database when it tries to do the incremental backup for the first backup?

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

rhavlick
Level 2

Good idea, actually I just tried backing up the database directly from SQL Server Management Studio to test if that would trigger that full backup that was needed.  It unfortunately did not, but I did just create a job in Backup Exec, just did new job, selected the new database, then went down to schedule, and checked the radio button for "Delete the job if the job successfully completes".  Then I ran the job, it finished, deleted itself and then I tried to run the incremental backup again.  It then was successful, so actually that should work fine, we'll just add the new database, then run a full backup.

Thanks, good idea.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

ZeRoC00L
Level 6
Partner Accredited

No, this is not possible. You can try to (manualy) create a backup in SQL itself just after creating the database. Maybe Backup Exec is not giving any errors after that.

rhavlick
Level 2

Good idea, actually I just tried backing up the database directly from SQL Server Management Studio to test if that would trigger that full backup that was needed.  It unfortunately did not, but I did just create a job in Backup Exec, just did new job, selected the new database, then went down to schedule, and checked the radio button for "Delete the job if the job successfully completes".  Then I ran the job, it finished, deleted itself and then I tried to run the incremental backup again.  It then was successful, so actually that should work fine, we'll just add the new database, then run a full backup.

Thanks, good idea.