cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Invalid License Keys

prairie_boy_78
Level 2

I'm installing Backup Exec 12.5 on our new server running Windows 2008 R2. When I try to use the license keys that I have, it tells me they are not valid. The keys I have are from our old server, which was also running BE 12.5. Any ideas?

7 REPLIES 7

AmolB
Employee Accredited Certified

License key will be a 16 digit hexa-decimal number. Could you post screenshot of the error message.

Note: BE12.5 as a media server is not compatible with Win2008R2

prairie_boy_78
Level 2

Error Msg

"An invalid license key has been entered. Please verify the license key and try again"

I've checked the keys with Symantic and they say they are valid.

AmolB

Is it an SBS server ? 

teiva-boy
Level 6

If the license keys you have are "valid," was it the support folks, or the licensing group?

I'd use a support case for them to troubleshoot the issue.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

I think your problem is due to the fact that you are using Server 2008 R2 as a media server.  This is not supported by BE 12.5.  See the SCL below

BE 12.5 Software (SCL)

If you want to use Server 2008 R2 as a media server, you would need to upgrade to BE 2010.  You would need a new set of licence keys for BE 2010.

Colin_Weaver

If you still have your original 12.5 server then copy the besernum.xml file across from the old server and then use the imoprt tab in the add liceses screen to install them - if that works that edit this file with notepad to find you actual serial numbers.

However pkh is correct 12.5 is not supported for install as a media server on 2008 R2 and you need to upgarde to BE 2010 R3

ncoday
Level 3
Employee

I think AmolZeroCool is on to something here. Was your previous installation of Backup Exec this: Backup Exec 12.5 For Small Business Servers {BUE 12.5 SBS}?

What this causes is that the activation key, when installed, is coded to say that it is for BUE 12.5 SBS and when the program reports back that it is not installed on Microsoft Windows for Small Business Servers, the program will return an error of "invalid key"

I would recommend contacting the Symantec Enterprise Customer Care Team at 1-800-721-3934 and we can look up your licensing entitlement.