cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Job scheduled times

Ray_Drummond
Level 3
I have my jobs set to start 5 minutes apart, even though they take more than that to complete. I thought that by doing that they would execute in the right order. Instead, The first job executes and then it seems kind of random as to what job kicks off next. Can anyone explain to me how this works? Do I need to spread the job times out more so they will actually execute in order? The reason I need them to execute in order is because I have a job or two that always fails and I want it at the end of the backup rotation.
5 REPLIES 5

Keith_Langmead
Level 6
It's probably connected with the backup scan before the backup itself starts. Since it doesn't actually use the backup drive Backup Exec can do more than one server at a time, and then once the scan has completed it will put the job into the queue if there isn't a drive available. If the second job takes 15 minutes to do the scan, and the third job only takes 5 minutes (eg the second server has a lot more data, or a slower connection), then the third job will get put in the queue earlier than the second, and will be started as soon as the first job has completed.

So yes if you increase the amount of time between the jobs starting such that they can all finish the scan before the next one then you should be fine.

Ray_Drummond
Level 3
Great answer...thanks.

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
You can also use BEMCMD and create batch jobs to execute the second through nnn backups.

Then call the next backup as a POST JOB using them

A bit more effort to set up, but it does work.

(in v10 and v11, they have improved things and you can use policies to kick off following jobs)

Keith_Langmead
Level 6
But not great enough to mark as correct or helpful obviously!?! :)

shweta_rege
Level 6
Hello,

Could you please update us on the issue?

Thank You,

Shweta