cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Manual Disaster Recovery

Peter_Sheridan
Level 6

Hello,

I have a server (SBS 2003) with Backup Exec 2012 installed on. The server has failed an i'm about to restore from backup.

I cannot do a SDR for various reasons so am forced to do a Manual DR.

From what i understand the process is to install the OS in Workgroup, same Name and IP Address. Install BE and then inventory/catalogue the media and run the restore.

My question is do i actually select the entire server to restore? Surely it would not be able to overwrite the appropriate files etc? Or do I only restore certain components?

Thanks in advance!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Vishal_Shinde
Level 5
Employee Accredited Certified

Hello Peter,

you need to select the entire server to restore.

if you are concern about the System files, they will be taken care by the Sytem state restore.

Regards,

S

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Vishal_Shinde
Level 5

Hello Peter,

you need to select the entire server to restore.

if you are concern about the System files, they will be taken care by the Sytem state restore.

Regards,

S

Peter_Sheridan
Level 6

Ah ok thankyou.

Is there anything else i should be aware of?

pkh
   VIP    Certified

See this document for the procedure to recover your Server 2003

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH179349

Vishal_Shinde
Level 5

update the DNS Suffix:

Logon to the remote server to be restored, right click "My Computer" and select the Computer Name tab > Change > More > Primary DNS suffix of this computer and add the FQDN in the DNS suffix.

Ref:

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH10837

Regards,

S

Peter_Sheridan
Level 6

Well I have the server back online... kinda. AD is working, Exchange is working now i'm just trying to restore SQL Databases.

Everytime i run the restore the following error comes up

Final Error: 0xe000848c - Unable to attach to a resource.

The SQL database instance isn't actually running as i am doing a complete Manual DR.

I recall that the Model, Master, and Msdb databases have to be restored first, but even that isn't running..

Any ideas?

Peter_Sheridan
Level 6

Server is fully back online now. Just to summarise the steps i followed for anyone else in the future.

Environment: SBS 2003

Process:

Step 1 - Create a new VM that will be used as the BE Server. I found that if i installed it on the server i'm recoverying it would have problems after restoring system state.

Step 2 - Install a clean version of SBS 2003 but stop once it loads Windows and the desktop (you do not want to go through the wizard).

Step 3 - Install the RAWS on the SBS 2003 Server.

Step 4 - Restore all files and folders to the SBS 2003 Server.

Step 5 - Restore System State to the SBS 2003 Server.

Step 6 - Reboot and the the SBS should be back online.

Step 7 - Restore Exchange 2003 Databases and make sure they mount successfully

Step 8 - For each sql instance, find the folder where the database got restored and rename the master$4idr to master.mdf, and masterlog.ird to masterlog.ldf. Do the same for Model.

Step 9 - Go into Services.msc and start each of the sql services.

Step 10 - Once this is done you should be able to restore the sql databases through Backup exec.

Step 11 - Restore all of the sharepoint content.

Hopefully after doing that the SBS should be back online! The moral of the story is to make sure that SDR is enabled and it would have saved a bunch of time and effort!!

If anyone needs assistance with this let me know and i'll do my best to help out. I'm no expert but know what its like going through the process and how stressful it is.

Thanks again sasha for your help too.