cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Media query error during duplicate portion of disk-disk-tape policy job

Jim_S
Level 4
I'm running Symantec BackupExec 11 Rev. 6235 w/ SP1 installed.

I have a policy job set up to back up 9 servers to my NAS box with a disk-disk backup.  This job runs fine and completes sucessfully.

As part of the policy I have a duplicate job that is to take this information and put it to tape (external LTO2 drive).

This job starts, but a few percent into the job it errors out and fails with the following error:

Completed status: Failed
Final error: 0xe0000602 - A query for media on which the data set being read is continued was unsuccessful. Ensure that all media in the family have been inventoried and cataloged.
Final error category: Backup Media Errors

For additional information regarding this error refer to link V-79-57344-1538

I went to the link and checked out the "Tape Format" registry key that is mentioned, but that article is for BE10, not 11 and the key is already there with a value of 1.  I searched through the forums here and found several people with similar problems, but none with resolutions to their issues.

Does anyone know what might be causing this particular error, or some steps I can use to help troubleshoot this?  I've been using BackupExec for years, but this is admitedly my first attempt at using policies.

Thanks
2 REPLIES 2

Scott_P
Level 4
Employee Certified
Hi Jim,

Are your backup to disk jobs that you are running set to 'append' or 'overwrite' ? If they are set to append, change them to overwrite, and see if that helps. Backup to disk files work differently than tapes when it comes to overwrite/append settings. I've included a link below that might shed some more light on it, but to highlight the paragraph I'm referring to -

*Backup to Disk Files are treated as Virtual Robotic Libraries and will use the same amount of disk space, regardless of whether a job is set to append or overwrite.  Use caution when running append jobs, because if any piece of media from the Media Family is deleted or overwritten, a Catalog or Duplicate Backup Job of the media may fail to complete successfully.*

http://support.veritas.com/docs/279903

Try running the jobs configured this way and let me know the outcome. It sounds like Backup Exec is looking for a particular backup to disk file that may no longer be present(even though it may have nothing to do with this job in particular, if the b2d jobs are set to append, it makes all of them part of the same family, hence the dilemma mentioned above, and the suggestion to set the jobs to overwrite.)

Regards,
Scott

Jim_S
Level 4
I already had everything set to Overwrite instead of any sort of Append.

Is it possible that this is something to do with me doing my backup-2-disk portion to NAS instead of Local Disk?