cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moving Files from Server 2003 to Server 2008

desireemm
Level 3

Hello I am trying to find out the best course of action. I need to move files from a server that has 2003 to a server that has 2008, I need to move all the files over from the old server to the new server along with the permissions. I don't want to make a mistake on the new server, the tool I will be using is backup exec 2012. Can anyone advise on what the best course of action would be to do this?
It was suggested that I use Backupexec 2012 backup the older server SDDATA6 to a hard drive with the permissions in the registry then restore to the new server.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

Any share level permissions will have to be setup again as these would be part of a system state and you cannot restore a system state to a different operating system (or different servername)

If both servers are in the same domain and file and folder permission have been set using domain accounts then you may be able to transfer/restore the files with the Access Control List (ACL)  information.

What I would suggest is create some test folders on the older server with some odd permissions set against domain accounts applied to them, make sure there are some files in the folders, then backup the folders and redirect restore them to the new server making sure any options in the restore diaogs are set for access control permissions. If that works then Backup Exec should be able to move all your files that way.

Note1 : Bakup Exec is not really designed as a file migration product

Note2: As local server accounts have their own security GUIDs linked to the local security access, you probably won't be able to migrate local permissions, (only domain ones)

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Backup Exec would allow you to backup the files, but you need to make sure that it is done in accordance with Microsoft's best practice. I'd recommend checking what they recommend, and then configure BE accordingly.

Thanks!

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

Any share level permissions will have to be setup again as these would be part of a system state and you cannot restore a system state to a different operating system (or different servername)

If both servers are in the same domain and file and folder permission have been set using domain accounts then you may be able to transfer/restore the files with the Access Control List (ACL)  information.

What I would suggest is create some test folders on the older server with some odd permissions set against domain accounts applied to them, make sure there are some files in the folders, then backup the folders and redirect restore them to the new server making sure any options in the restore diaogs are set for access control permissions. If that works then Backup Exec should be able to move all your files that way.

Note1 : Bakup Exec is not really designed as a file migration product

Note2: As local server accounts have their own security GUIDs linked to the local security access, you probably won't be able to migrate local permissions, (only domain ones)

desireemm
Level 3

ok colin thank you very much I will defintley try that