cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need to back an external hard drive as part of my total backup protocol

btotten
Level 3
Partner
A client uses BE 12.5.  They have a WD My Book attached to the Windows server.  I want to select that drive as part of backup selections, but it is greyed-out.  What do I need to do to be able to select the external HD?

Bill
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Try creating an Admin share of the USB drive

or see page 335 of the Admin Guide to enable selection of User Shares as well as Admin Shares

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

Dev_T
Level 6
Hello,

Is the USB connected to the Backup Exec server or a remote server?

btotten
Level 3
Partner
It is connected (via USB) on a remote server running the Windows Agent version 12.5.

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

make sure that the USB Drive is shared on the remote machine.  if it is, you should see it just like you see internal drives/volumes

btotten
Level 3
Partner
It is shared and I cannot select it.  I can't select the drive or the share.  The permissions on the share (and the drive) are "Everyone" and I am the administrator, but no luck.

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

Hmmm

Do you see an Admin share, or is it a User share.  If the latter, you have "Backup user shares" selecte (or whatever the wording is - I forget right now)

Can you see and select the other drives in that machine?

Is the Remote Agent installed and running on that server?

btotten
Level 3
Partner
It is a User share.  I can see all the internal drives on the remote server and I can select them.

btotten
Level 3
Partner
"Enable backup of user shares" was not checked (enabled).  I checked it and now I can select the drive.
Thanks a lot,
Bill

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Try creating an Admin share of the USB drive

or see page 335 of the Admin Guide to enable selection of User Shares as well as Admin Shares