cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New BE10 install, upgrade from 8.6, plans and setup, any advice?

Andrew_Vranjes
Level 3
Hello,

Im a admin at a stie with 25 servers, a mix of win2k+win2k3. Currenly have 3 backup exec 8.6 servers running, 1 AIT1, 1 AIT3 and a DLT.

Im going to upgrade to Backup Exec 10. Im planning on removing all 8.6 software and then installing Be10 from scratch, so it will be 3 backup exec servers, 20 remote agents, 1 exchange agent, 5 SQL agents and 2 oracle agents.

I inherited this site with multiple BE 8.6 servers, and i am planning on keeping it like this, as i find it realyl easy to manage and keep track of backups and restores with mutiple BE servers, instead of 1 BE server with multiple backup jobs and mutliple tape drives loaded on it.

Now, with the SQL intergration, i have selected my SQL server to use, Will BE Server 10 make a DB in SQL per install? or can the 3 installs of BE 10 be all linked to 1 SQL database?

please post your comments, and any issues/problems forum goers think i might need to watch out for or consider.

cheers and beers from down under :)

a
3 REPLIES 3

Deepali_Badave
Level 6
Employee
Hello,

-- Do you want to install BE v10.0 on the SQL server?

-- If so , then while installing Backup Exec If SQL Server 2000 is already installed on the server, you are prompted to do one of the
following:
◆ Install the required Microsoft SQL Server 2000 Desktop Engine (MSDE 2000)
components with Backup Exec and create a default Backup Exec instance.
◆ Select a SQL Server 2000 instance that already exists on which to run Backup Exec.
Note If you choose to install Backup Exec into an existing SQL 2000 instance, make sure
that SQL 2000 service pack 3a or later is installed before you continue with the
installation.
When Backup Exec is installed into an existing instance, the automated master
database restore feature is not available. To recover the Master database, you must
replace it with the Master database copy that Backup Exec automatically creates and
updates when the Master database is backed up.
When Backup Exec is installed into an instance other than a default Backup Exec
instance, the Cluster Configuration Wizard is not available.

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

uz
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
It is NOT possible, to have the three BEWS Servers use the same database !!

If you are e.g. are installing the second BEWS server and would try to adress the same SQL instance that you have already installed the first server to, the installation will fail with a message like: The BEDB Database already exists and is in use by another BEWS server.

You would need to create three different instances on your MS SQL server and install each BEWS in an own instance.

The only way to share one and the same database with BEWS is to install the SAN SSO Option. (But as you are not running a SAN that makes no sence.)

Reviewing your environment, I would go for the "build in" MSDE to be installed on each BEWS Server itself, rather than to install the Database on remote servers.

This way, the three BEWS are independent from each other.

Regards

uz

Sharvari_Deshmu
Level 6
Hello,

We request you to update us on this issue.

Thanks,

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked "assumed answered" and would be moved to "answered questions" pool.