cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Hard drives makes backup hang

Brian_Peffer
Level 3
I am running Windows 2000 with SP4 and Backup Exec 9.0. I have recently installed new hard drives on two servers, one is running MS Exchange and the other MS SQL. Lets name the servers MAIL and APP for example. I created the volume sizes on both servers with the same brand hard new hard drives intalled on both servers. At first both servers had unallocated space on the drives, which I figured was causing my backup jobs to just hang in the "running" state and the job would never finish ( no errors reported. ) Also I could not cancel the job unless I stopped the remote agent services on the remote servers. I created second volumes (Drive E: ) on both MAIL & APP and it seem to fix the problem on APP, but MAIL is still having the same problem. I have discovered that the job seems to hang only when I try to backup the system state data for MAIL. I can backup folders on MAIL with no problem and I have created a new job to no avail. I also am able to back up the system state data on MAIL locally using MS Backup.

Thanks,

Brian
7 REPLIES 7

Deepali_Badave
Level 6
Employee
Hello,

Are you getting any alerts.As in are there any pending alerts?
If so respond them.
Are there any errors occured in the event logs?
Job hangs in which state for eg.Is it a "Loading media state"?

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

Brian_Peffer
Level 3
Thanks for the reply,

I am receiveing no alerts, there is nothing in MS Event Viewer. For a full normal back job to all of the servers it hangs in the "Running" state. If I run a job only to APP or MAIL that only backs up the System State only it hangs in "Pre-processing"

It seems the job will run successfully on my other servers, but as soon as Backup Exec reaches MAIL or APP it hangs. I mentioned before that it was only happening to my MAIL server, but it is actually happening on both servers with the new drives. I also have attempted to backup to my backup folder and tape with the same problem.

Over the weekend I reinstalled the remote agents on both servers, deleted all of my backup jobs and created a new one. I also did not select anything on MAIL for the job and it still hung on the APP server. When I had to cancel the job this morning I received "Unable to attach to \\APP\C:." under Set Information, BUT I think that I am only receiving that message because I have to stop the Remote Agent services on APP, other wise the job will not cancel.

Do you think this could be happening because the drives are partitioned on these two servers? All of my other servers only have the C:\ drive.

Thanks again,

Brian

Deepali_Badave
Level 6
Employee
Hello,

As the job hangs even if you are using the exchange and SQL agents.
Is it a windows 2003 server?
Are you using the AOFO to backup Exchange and SQL server?

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

Brian_Peffer
Level 3
I can successfully backup all SQL databases and Exchange: mailboxes, information store, and public folders. I installed the remote agents remotely through my Backup Exec server, which has the SQL & Exchange keys installed, so that part of it seems ok.

I've noticed strange behavior; the APP server will let me run a backup once and then it will hang the second time I run the job. If I restart the remote agent services on APP, I can run it one more time and so on. System State seems to hang on MAIL no matter what I do.

I am running all Windows 2000 servers with Service Pack 4 and all of the critical updates. MAIL is a Domain Controller and APP is not. Dell PowerEdge 2650 servers.

I originally installed Backup Exec 8.6 and upgraded to version 9.0. I never purchased a AOFO license, which never seemed to be a problem, my users are very good at logging off at night.

This whole problem occured when another DC server (FILE1) suffered a crash and needed Windows reinstalled. I figured this would be a good time to add hard disk space to APP & MAIL also. FILE1, APP, and MAIL also had their system BIOS & RAID controller upgraded. FILE1 is experiencing no problems, nor is any of the other domain controllers.

Sorry if this is more information than you needed.

Thanks,

Brian

Brian_Peffer
Level 3
Does anyone have an idea on this one? If I upgrade to 9.1 will that help? I still have to restart the remote agent services on APP every day to back it up and the system state on MAIL will not backup at all.

Thanks,

Brian

Sharvari_Deshmu
Level 6
Hello,

Please try upgrading to 9.1 from the link below:
http://support.veritas.com/docs/264658

Also install SP2 for BE 9.1 and then verify the result.

please check the link:

http://support.veritas.com/docs/275247

Thanks,

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.Message was edited by:
Sharvari Deshmukh

Brian_Peffer
Level 3
Thanks Sharvari!
The upgrade to 9.1 fixed my problem.

I am listing a brief list of the steps I took, but I would suggest reading the 9.1 admin guide also.

1. Uninstalled all remote agents.
2. Downloaded 9.1 from Sharvari's link and ran the install. When I installed, I got a message at the end of the install saying to reboot and then run the "Repair" option from the Control Panel...which I did.
3. After running the repair and rebooting I open Backup Exec and it seemed fine, so I installed the 9.1 Service Pack 2 from Shavari's link and rebooted. I am now running 9.1 Rev. 4691.
4. I had two other PowerEdge servers that needed the BIOS updated, so I did that.
5. I installed the remote agents by pushing it out from the Backup Exec server. I would suggest if you are prompted to have Backup Exec restart the remote machine say "No". In my experience, clicking yes only causes the remote machine to hang and not reboot. Click NO and reboot the machine manually.
6. I did also delete all of my backup jobs again, but I am guessing that may not be nessecary. I did not have much time invested in re-creating the jobs.

Thanks again,

Brian