cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Newb needs help getting GRT working on ESXi 5.5

burkebob
Level 2

Hi, New user of BE and I got BE2012 trial installed and working - made a backup of a ESXi 5.5 host runnign Windows 2008 R2 and no exceptions on the backup log. The problem is, GRT is enabled but I cannot restore file level - I only have the option to restore the entire server. I was thinking maybe I have to choose specific options for the VMTools agent - I just took the defaults. But that the backup completes without exceptions has me puzzled.

Q. Does anyone have advice for me? Any ideas for me appreciated!

Q. Are there any limitations on the trial?

I called for help in the install portion (didn't know I had to apply SP3). Frankly my admin and myself had a lot of trouble understanding the ESL support rep so I'd like to avoid doing that again if possible.

Thank you,

-Bob

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

burkebob
Level 2

I have since discovered the issue I had was I installed VMTools *after* installing the BE network agent for windows. After uninstalling, rebooting, reinstalling, rebooting, making a backup, I can now restore file level so GRT seems to be working.

Next question is why do I  get a message that my servers is not snappable? Sounds like this could be hurting performance or options.

Resource: "VMVCB::\\10.2.1.6\VCGuestVm\(DC)ha-datacenter(DC)\vm\SJOTEST1W8" is not snappable. Attempting to back up directly from the source volume.

View solution in original post

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited
2 REPLIES 2

burkebob
Level 2

I have since discovered the issue I had was I installed VMTools *after* installing the BE network agent for windows. After uninstalling, rebooting, reinstalling, rebooting, making a backup, I can now restore file level so GRT seems to be working.

Next question is why do I  get a message that my servers is not snappable? Sounds like this could be hurting performance or options.

Resource: "VMVCB::\\10.2.1.6\VCGuestVm\(DC)ha-datacenter(DC)\vm\SJOTEST1W8" is not snappable. Attempting to back up directly from the source volume.

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited