cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Not seeing Cleaning Tape in assigned slot

Sacha_Brown
Level 5
Partner Accredited

We have a DELL tape library with two drive. The Cleaning Tape was assigned to slot 23 from the DELL management utility. When I go onto Backup Exec 2012 SP4 I am only seeing 22 slots. 1 is assigned the I/O slot and 23 Cleaning. I did an inventory, scan etc but still not able to see the cleaning slot. I would like to apply it to the Cleaning Media Set.

Any assistance is welcomed.

Thank You

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Larry_Fine
   VIP   

Assuming you removed the cleaning tape assignment from the Dell library management utility, that would have changed the number of storage slots reported to BE.  You will need to stop and restart the BE services to see the increased storage slot count.  Once you can see the storage slot, you should be able to see the contents of that slot by doing a scan or inventory.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

Don't designate a cleaning slot in the Dell utility. Just create a partition within BE and put the cleaning tape there.

Thanks!

Sacha_Brown
Level 5
Partner Accredited

I tried that and was still not able to see the cleaning tape. Any other suggestions?

CraigV

...do you use barcode labels on the tapes? If so, does the cleaning tape have a barcode starting with CLN?

Thanks!

Sacha_Brown
Level 5
Partner Accredited

Yes it has a barcode starting with CLN.

CraigV

...are you using the SYmantec drivers for your drive? Run tapeinst.exe to install them!

Thanks!

Larry_Fine
   VIP   

Assuming you removed the cleaning tape assignment from the Dell library management utility, that would have changed the number of storage slots reported to BE.  You will need to stop and restart the BE services to see the increased storage slot count.  Once you can see the storage slot, you should be able to see the contents of that slot by doing a scan or inventory.

Sacha_Brown
Level 5
Partner Accredited

Thank You Larry. I will try this and get backup to you. I assumed running an inventory after removing the cleaning tape on the DELL Management Util.

Larry_Fine
   VIP   

The entry in your adamm.log file should reflect the configuration change also.

example:

1st Slot Number         1
                     Number Of Slots         44
                     Portal Slots            3
                     Import/Export           Robotic

pkh
   VIP    Certified

You should not designate the cleaning slot using the library management software.  It should be left as an ordinary slot.

In the Storage tab, right-click on the slot that you want to designate as a cleaning slot and then check the Cleaning Slot checkbox.  This will tell BE that this is a cleaning slot