cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Overwrite Backup every Day on DISK

syed_jahanzaib
Level 5

I have configured a Backup job which does backup one Server on BE Local Disk. I have set Retention Preiod for 2 Days, and Life Cycle 2 days. but its not overwriting the old backup sets.

Since I am really short in sotrage, I want following...

Option A >   

Day 1  >  Full Backup Set 1
Day 2  >  Overwrite Backup Set 1
Day 3  >  Overwrite Backup Set 1
and so on , it should overwrite same backup set every time for same job.

Option B >   

Day 1  >  Full Backup Set 1
Day 2  >  Full Backup Set 2
Day 3  >  Overwrite Backup Set 1
Day 4  >  Overwrite Backup Set 2
so that I can have two backup sets for best practcies,

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

LegAEI
Level 5

To turn off protection for the last backups (not recommended, but if you insist):

Backup exec button -> Backup Exec Settings -> Storage -> Data management -> Check Allow Backup Exec to delete all exipred backup sets.

There will be a huge warning that pops up, but it will allow you to control your data removal instead of backup exec keeping what you believe to be irrelavent data sets around.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

pkh
   VIP    Certified
Disk storage is managed by DLM. Read the blog below and my article to figure out how to set your retention period. https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/tr/blogs/data-lifecycle-management-be-2012 https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/articles/when-backup-sets-are-deleted-under-dlm I don't know what you mean by life-cycle, but you should be able to get what you want by setting the retention period to 0 You should get more disk space. Having only the most recent backup sets is a recipe for disaster. What happens if they are corrupted and not usable? You are left with nothing to restore

syed_jahanzaib
Level 5

I can see that backup is still not overwriting,

Following are my settings.

123.JPG

pkh
   VIP    Certified
By default, BE will keep the last backup chain, until the next full backup is done. At the minimum you will have two full backup on your disk

LegAEI
Level 5

To turn off protection for the last backups (not recommended, but if you insist):

Backup exec button -> Backup Exec Settings -> Storage -> Data management -> Check Allow Backup Exec to delete all exipred backup sets.

There will be a huge warning that pops up, but it will allow you to control your data removal instead of backup exec keeping what you believe to be irrelavent data sets around.